Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2005, 02:18 AM

Default Re: Does this job exist?

Not as directly related to your question as bioinformatics, but you should look into biomedical engineering. Very fascinating area.
Old 09-29-2005, 02:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Not as directly related to your question as bioinformatics, but you should look into biomedical engineering. Very fascinating area.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, massive earning potential if you start your own company. Purdue University has a very good program for biomedical engineering. The female scene there sucks though. Trust me I know both from first hand experience. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Ok, now I'm curious. Exactly what is your educational background? I mean I've always thought you were a businessman but you seem to have a mild interest in science stuff. At the same time you never go into any real detail. So I don't know.
Old 09-29-2005, 02:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good place to look if you're more into the math/CS stuff:

http://csbi.mit.edu/

It's one of the best comp. bio departments in the world, doing some really interesting research. Biomedical Eng. is also really getting hot from what I understand.

There's definitely money to be had in the field, but mostly in industry or even as an MD/PhD doing research at a Hospital or something.
Old 09-29-2005, 03:13 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah kurosh. You can come do the GT/Emory deal here, and hang out with me in your spare time. I'll let you beat up my younger brother when he does drugs, and there are plenty of 6s and 7s you can date who won't get raped or ogled by other guys.
Old 09-29-2005, 04:23 AM

I am with you Kurosh. I am premed, and I am about to start applying to medical school... but I am just not sure if its what I want to do. So im kinda up in the air now.
So, I'm just working on a tripple major while trying to decide.

Any cool job ideas appreciated.

Keys are freedom, intellectual development, money in a more minor way. I think it'll have be some type of phd program to satisfy me. Graduate school is an option, but then I might switch all over and go for physics or stats.

Im confused.

-blake
Old 09-29-2005, 04:25 AM

Just don't go to work for Skynet and design the Terminators like these other fuckers are going to do.
Old 09-29-2005, 05:16 AM

I have a BSEE in Electrical &amp; Computer Engineering. I've been a software startup business guy for pretty much all of my career. I dabble in all sorts of stuff, though.
Old 09-29-2005, 05:22 AM

One of my friends just graduated with a degree in Biological Systems Engineering from UCDavis. It sounds a lot like what you are talking about, he did some software stuff, some hardware stuff and a lot of biological sciences (I think this was the majority of his major). He is applying to a lot of places right now, Genetech is one of the ones that comes to mind.
Old 09-29-2005, 07:48 AM

You need a new avatar.

Old 09-29-2005, 10:41 AM

I'm a 3rd year med student, the MDs i see using technology for patient care the most are....

Radiologists-using new imaging studies, which is a field that is exploding as i understand it

Cardiac Electrophysiologists-monitoring and fixing the electrical activity in the heart

What i don't see on a day to day basis are the MDs who don't actually interact with patients, but I know they're out there, you could work for a pharm company (or probably just about any type of industry) figuring out how their product would affect peoples health using computer generated models etc.

Financially you'll be fine in any medical sector with an advanced degree.