Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2005, 02:38 PM

Default Results

Friend 3 bet flop, limper folded and button called. He leads on turn and button calls. Bet-Call river. Button has AK.

Since he lost the limper and got only 2BB from turn on, another friend says you gotta go for the checkraise on the turn, because not getting any raises in the bigger streets is leaving money on the table. He did see the AK before saying that, but this guy is a chronic slowplayer who loves waiting until the turn to drop the hammer.

I thought hero played it right, giving himself a chance to get more from the limper on the flop and leaving open the opportunity for a flop cap or turn 3-Bet. I also thought it was notable that in a big pot, a button player is much more likely to raise for a free card, which lowers the probability he will give you a chance to checkraise. As has been noted in the thread, getting the turn checked through after not 3-betting would be disastrous.

But I also hate slowplaying and think in LLHE it is the most misused tool in the player's toolbox and ultimately costs players money. Hoping for others to bet instead of betting it yourself, especially out of position, is no way to approach winning an already big pot, IMO. Sure you might get that glorious turn c/r in sometimes, but you might get that even more glorious turn 3-Bet or flop cap if you bet out. And the times you miss turn bets trying to be fancy really hurts your earn.

KJS