Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2005, 09:03 PM

Default Mid position limp, raise, call, what to do with AJo on button

Live $300 tournament. Blinds 50/100. I have T2300. All players in hand have me covered.

Caller in CO is somewhat LAG as table chip leader. Table is typical for live tournament, somewhat loose/passive preflop and postflop with people calling when they should raise or fold, but reasonable betting pattern and no extreme loose fish or maniacs like online. People will fold when they think they are beaten.

8-handed table. 4th position limps for 100, 5th position raises to 350, CO calls. I am button with AJo and T2300. Push, call, or fold?
Old 12-01-2005, 09:19 PM

Default Re: Mid position limp, raise, call, what to do with AJo on button

my cards are into the muck faster than (fill in analogy here)
Old 12-01-2005, 09:32 PM

M of 15 means you don't really need to push, and after a raise / call you don't need to get into a guessing game if you hit a non-lock flop. I think its a clear fold, what happens when the flop comes J high with a couple draws, the MP bets, and the CO raises?
Old 12-01-2005, 09:37 PM

I agree with the other posters so far. I think this is a clear fold. AJo is not a great hand after someone showed strength after a couple limpers. You very well could be dominated, and you always have the chance that if you call, someone who limped will come back and limp reraise.

You can't push here, because your hand just isn't that strong, and the only hands that are calling you have you completely dominated, and these hands are very likely hands for the raiser to hold (AK, AQ, AA, KK, QQ, JJ). There are no hands that are calling you that you have beat, and the best you could hope for if someone calls is a coinflip.

You have plenty of chips, no time to get desperate, and i think you can wait for a better spot to get your money in.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:51 PM

I call here. You are getting good odds in good position.

If 5th position was the LAG and you had a tight image you could try a squeeze play here with a push but that is not the case here.
Old 12-02-2005, 12:18 AM

I folded without much thought, as other posters suggested. However, afterword I thought about pushing or calling.

I think I like the push here. Problem is, if I am dominated, I will be called. However, the push seems like a reasonable semibluff.

I also thought about calling with position. I am not generally crazy about coming in as the 2nd caller with a "trouble hand". However, the money is shallow, so I can't lose a big pot.