Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2005, 11:41 PM

Default Watch me play passive - 10/20 7/8b

So on fourth I figured I'd wait to drop the hammer, but then everything just stalled. I probably should have let this go on 6th, but I got stubborn. Raising 5th is also something I considered, but did not pull the trigger. I feel so dirty after this hand.

7 Card Stud High-Low ($10/$20), Ante $1, Bring-In $3 (converter)

3rd Street - (0.50 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___brings-in

4th Street - (1.10 SB)

Seat 3: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls

5th Street - (1.55 BB)

Seat 3: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls

6th Street - (3.55 BB)

Seat 3: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls

River - (5.55 BB)

Seat 3: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx___bets
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls

Total pot: (7.55 BB)
Old 11-04-2005, 01:41 AM

Default Re: Watch me play passive - 10/20 7/8b

You will of course raise 4th next time, right? IMO raising on 5th is spewing.

Calling on 6th is something that we have had a few minor discussions about in recent weeks but we havent reached a final verdict on. In the heat of moment though I am calling on 6th and calling on 7th since you made KK. I would feel dirty also.
Old 11-04-2005, 07:36 AM

Do you see how the gods punish you for
not raising your perfect hand on 4th [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-04-2005, 11:33 AM

I raise fourth about every time. I would also at least consider raising fifth. I think sixth is a call. If you had played more aggressively, the pot would definitely be too big to fold. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] And while you may not like it, I think you have to pay off the river as well.
Old 11-04-2005, 11:47 AM

My plan on fourth was to catch a wheel or aces (and a good low) and get in lots of bets on the expensive streets, things didn't quite work out that way. I did consider raising 5th. This was definitely a change up hand for me. If I had a 6 instead of the 3 or 4 I raise fourth always. Here I just decided to get 'clever'. (Part of this was due to the tempo of the game, there is not a lot of jamming in this game, which seems like a counter argument to my plan, but it is almost like there is a ton of checked aggression waiting to burst out.)

I did end up chopping, the call on the end wasn't too painful, I'm used to those. (One time I called with a pair of 4's when someone with an obvious low had the other pair of 4's on board, but I had him outkicked if that was all he had high. It was a big pot, and my high ended up being good. That was a pretty hard, possibly incorrect, call. I wonder what that does for one's image. The guy I chopped that hand with just typed "wow".)
Old 11-04-2005, 12:04 PM

I feel pretty strongly about raising fourth. I'd probably just call 5th. An inflated pot makes a call on sixth much more clear I think.

I was watching you play this game for about twenty minutes last night at one point when you were shorthanded, at that time it seemed pretty week tight, so I dont know if you wanted to just catch that wheel and go by implied odds of a disguised hand or what.

I know the feeling though of sometimes just freezing up and playing a hand in a way that afterwards I just cant understand why I chose that route.
Old 11-04-2005, 01:21 PM

I am probably too tight short handed (though I do steal some) but in my limitted experience, the money made or lost in that game sh usually comes from playing too loose. I haven't been jamming much in that game because, honestly, I am just learning the subtleties of stud 8, (and I have already learned some of the down side of over aggression). Fortunately, the game seems soft so I'm earning while I learn (so far).