Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2005, 09:35 PM

Default Is this fold obvious?

Goes against my grain to fold trips, but felt there was little choice. I was trying to drive out the apparent flush draw with little success. What about fifth? I know that the third street call is debatable. My reason for the call was that diamonds and 8's were totally live.

7 Card Stud High ($5/$10), Ante $0.50, Bring-In $2 (hand converter)

3rd Street - (0.50 SB)

Seat 3: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___completes
Seat 4: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 7: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___brings-in___calls
Seat 8: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls___calls

4th Street - (4.50 SB)

Seat 3: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___raises
Seat 7: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___folds
Seat 8: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___calls

5th Street - (5.25 BB)

Seat 3: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___raises___calls
Seat 8: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises

6th Street - (14.25 BB)

Seat 3: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls

River - (16.25 BB)

Seat 3: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx___bets
Seat 8: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx___calls

Total pot: (18.25 BB)
Old 09-27-2005, 10:23 PM

Default Re: Is this fold obvious?

Yes, without more information about seat 3. Do you think he would have called 2 bets on 5th with just 7s? Especially with such a scary board from seat 8.
Old 09-27-2005, 10:43 PM

This fold is far from obvious. It can't be that bad, because you are definitely losing to a flush, and KK77 might be full. But he didn't have to start with the case K in the hole; he could have had aces in the hole or some other hand. And if you knew he just had two (three) pair you have the odds to see the river. But I'd fold the river unimproved if I did call on sixth.
Old 09-28-2005, 01:48 AM

6th street is an auto call, too much in there you are making a huge mistake if he's not full, and a king is dead. If you don't fill on the river then you might be able to get away from it.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
6th street is an auto call, too much in there you are making a huge mistake if he's not full, and a king is dead. If you don't fill on the river then you might be able to get away from it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought it would be an autocall if you were closing the action, but
you risk being squeezed here if the flush draw raises and it gets jammed
back to you.

I'm sure it's still close but I wasnt sure if "autocall" was correct.

Aq.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:32 AM

Isn't third a fold?
Old 09-28-2005, 09:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
But what do you make of him betting out on sixth right into the teeth of a pretty obvious flush. The only starting hand that makes any sense for him is pocket aces or split kings, given the prior action and other dead cards. If he is sitting there with three pair, then why bet it considering that my raise on fifth smells like trips, and the re-raise screams flush? Given these considerations, I thought I had to give him credit for the boat. Also if the flush decides that the dead king means an unlikely boat then he is going to raise, and the last two streets were going to get real expensive.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:59 AM

Soe veryone agrees that 3rd is an easy call then?
Old 09-28-2005, 10:02 AM

I don't.
Old 09-28-2005, 10:05 AM

No - I think 3rd is an easy fold.