Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2005, 01:38 AM

Default Not aggressive enough?

7 Card Stud High-Low ($10/$20), Ante $1, Bring-In $3 (hand converter)

3rd Street - (0.80 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 2: 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___completes
Seat 8: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___brings-in___calls

4th Street - (3.80 SB)

Seat 2: 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises___raises
Seat 7: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets___raises___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds

5th Street - (5.90 BB)

Seat 2: 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 7: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets

6th Street - (7.90 BB)

Seat 2: 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 7: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks

River - (7.90 BB)

Seat 2: 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 7: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx___checks

Total pot: (7.90 BB)

I don't know if I played this hand correctly. I think the raise on fourth street might be poor, and I should wait for fifth street to put in the raise, but that's not the real issue. I just stepped up to play 10/20 Stud 8/b (I usually play 5/10) and give it a shot, and I noticed the play is a lot different.

My thinking on fifth street is that he's made his low, since I have all the sixes in the deck, or is drawing live to a straight and his low (with perhaps a pair). By adding more money to the pot, I am only making it worse if he backs into a straight/flush and I do not improve. In retrospect, I believe I should have raised once on fourth and called his re-raise, then raised on fifth street to get an extra bet, then take the betting lead the entire way home.

Or maybe that's too aggressive? I'm not sure, but the general feeling I have about this hand is that I played it WAY too passively. I was honestly scared of a backdoor flush/straight (even though I have so many outs to fill up) or MAYBE rolled up aces (unlikely, of course).

Your comments are greatly appreciated.

(edit): It's worth nothing that I was actually trying to go for a check-raise on sixth, but could find no reason to bet on the end. It seemed like the situation where only a better hand calls me.
Old 08-18-2005, 07:35 AM

Default Re: Not aggressive enough?

Most likely hand on 4th is 4 to a low. Many players in this game will jam it every time when their opponent seems to brick. Against trips its slightly -EV to jam, but not by much. When he catches the 6 you know he didn't pair so slowing down is not unreasonable at all. Only reason I can see for him to check 5th is if he actually had a pair of A.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:58 AM

With the 6 showing I would raise 3rd as it is almost
certain to be taken as some good 6-low like 62As.
It's got great deceptive value at this point. Once you
catch the 9 and keep raising it's clearer what you have
in the hole, ie. AA or 66.

I would probably bet this on 5th as the other guy
might have caught a low pair rather than a complete
low at this point, or be drawing, but after 5th I
would slow down.

[d'oh didnt notice it was a 6]

Aq.
Old 08-18-2005, 01:56 PM

That villian checked 6th/7th seems wierd to me if he actually has a low. He's freerolling and should know it.
I think your only hope here is that villian has A3 in the hole. It would explain jamming 4th and his willingness to check down on 6th and 7th.
Old 08-19-2005, 05:20 AM

He ended up showing me JQA that he started and a busted low. I scooped.
Old 08-20-2005, 12:08 AM

I would at least consider raising coming in on third. Having limped, I usually raise it when it comes back to me. My usual game has a higher proportional ante, and the players tend to be fairly aggressive, so all they need is a good hand in order to raise on third. Given that this guy raises with garbage like that, I'd say that his range of raising hands is sufficiently broad that you can re-pop it without giving away your hand.

I wouldn't raise on fourth. It should completely give your hand away, and it's a cheap street.

Once the other guy looks like he's made his low on fifth, you can really only call unless you fill. Check-raising on sixth would have been a bad idea.