Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2005, 12:21 AM

Default Re: Small Pairs in BB

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Really? I have thought about this strategy before. Is the reasoning that the raiser (esp. in late position) is much more likely to have to high cards rather than a pair? Anybody else do this with sm.pp's?

[/ QUOTE ]let me give you a hint... when it comes K74 and you have 22 your hand is irrelevant. you are not taling this one to showdown.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-10-2005, 12:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Call and pot 100% of flops.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im not saying your wrong, but what if the flop is AKQ? KT9 all spades? JT8?

This sounds expensive to me

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not saying you're wrong, but what if the flop is AKQ (and he has JJ)? K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and he has A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]? JT8 and he has 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]?

Simple math. Most hands miss most flops. And when most hands hit the flop, they hit it weakly.

This sounds profitable to me.
Old 07-10-2005, 12:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Simple math. Most hands miss most flops. And when most hands hit the flop, they hit it weakly.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is horrible way to apply the game theory. your opponents will figure what you are up to and raise you with nothing, semibluff, any piece of flop or flat call in position and take the pot away from you on turn.

sounds -evlicious to me.
Old 07-10-2005, 12:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not saying you're wrong, but what if the flop is AKQ (and he has JJ)? K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and he has A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]? JT8 and he has 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]?

[/ QUOTE ]

Do ANYTHING 100% of the time and you will lose.

I like the way you give the guy the hands that he will have trouble calling a pot bet with. He might actually have a real hand and even if he doesnt, if hes aggressive enough to raise your blind every time, hes aggressive enough to raise your flop bet with these hands since you pot it 100% of the time.
Old 07-10-2005, 01:00 AM

having a gameplan bluffing out of position with 2 outs is generally retarded.

obviously there are situations that it is +EV in, but not as a general plan or strategy.
Old 07-10-2005, 01:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is horrible way to apply the game theory. your opponents will figure what you are up to and raise you with nothing, semibluff, any piece of flop or flat call in position and take the pot away from you on turn.

sounds -evlicious to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not applying game theory. The only way my opponents will figure out what I am up to is if the hand goes to showdown. And that is unlikely to happen, because I will usually either win the pot on the flop or be forced to fold before showdown.

Your other claims are just silly. Obviously if there are other good players at the table and they adjust to my play, I will adjust to their play. I simply recommended this line as a default against unknowns, which I'm pretty sure is what the OP was asking about.
Old 07-10-2005, 01:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do ANYTHING 100% of the time and you will lose.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is false.

[ QUOTE ]
I like the way you give the guy the hands that he will have trouble calling a pot bet with. He might actually have a real hand and even if he doesnt, if hes aggressive enough to raise your blind every time, hes aggressive enough to raise your flop bet with these hands since you pot it 100% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right, I intentionally gave the guy hands that he will have trouble calling a full pot bet with. But notice that I also intentionally gave the guy hands that have us BADLY beaten. Most of the time, the button won't even have a decision to make. He'll just have to fold because he has absolutely nothing (unless he decides to run a bluff). Sure, sometimes he'll have a real hand. But most of the time he won't.

How can you assume that just because this player will open-raise on the button with any two, he will auto-raise any flop bet with any two? We weren't given that information by the OP. Obviously if we have that information that changes things. And how is the button going to know that we were planning on potting 100% of flops? He's not psychic, too, is he? What else haven't you told me about this player?
Old 07-10-2005, 01:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
having a gameplan bluffing out of position with 2 outs is generally retarded.

obviously there are situations that it is +EV in, but not as a general plan or strategy.

[/ QUOTE ]

It isn't a bluff. Against even a pretty tight button open-raiser, you are a favorite to have the best hand with 22 on most flops. And when you don't have the best hand, a pot bet will often force the raiser to fold a winner. And sometimes you will flop a set.

This is a bad game plan if the villain has seen you do it before and then either check it to a showdown or check/fold on a later street and you believe that villain is tricky enough that he would CTS.
Old 07-10-2005, 03:25 AM

Call as you hit sets 80% of the time.
Old 07-10-2005, 05:52 AM

to the person that says that's their default play with 22....why are you folding ANY hand to a button open raise, if your plan is to just pot any flop and hope they have not hit the flop, and if they do, fold to any resistance? Why not defend a button open raise with J4o?