Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2005, 01:31 AM

Default Cards intentionally exposed during play

What is the general rule of thumb regarding cards intentionally exposed during play? I know that in many tournaments, the hand will be declared dead, but what about in cash games?

Not long ago I played with a hilarious curmudgeonly guy (Imagine you are playing poker with Walter Matthau from Grumpy Old Men). He would say things to me like, "Son, your game is ugly as hell, but at least you have your youth and looks."

Then he intentionally exposed his pocket nines before calling my river bet, which kind of irritated me. He took a good 30 seconds to judge my reaction to his hand before deciding to call. I had him beat with pocket Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], but I did not think it was fair for him to be able to turn over his cards and judge my reaction before deciding to call.

If I had held something like 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], what recourse would I have had? Could the dealer have declared his hand dead?
Old 07-09-2005, 02:08 AM

Default Re: Cards intentionally exposed during play

exposed cards = dead hand
Old 07-09-2005, 02:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

tourneys yes. Live cash games not always, it varies from poker room!
Old 07-09-2005, 02:16 AM

In most places heads up in a cash game its legal. Dumb angle shoot imho
Old 07-09-2005, 02:40 AM

I was playing 2-4 at the sahara in vegas. Young guy on my left, two calling stations on his left. He is getting ticked because none of his bluffs stand a chance, and several suckouts have hit.

He picks up pocket aces, and after the flop comes rags asks the dealer if the hand is dead if he exposes the cards. The dealer says no, and he lays them face up on the table. He bets and the two cs call to river with 2nd and 3rd pair. Aces are good. Everyone is upset, he cant believe they kept calling without pot odds, them for his showing them up, and me- because I would have bluff raised with anything after saying something like "what are you showing- just one pair"?
Old 07-09-2005, 03:37 AM

I wouldn't mind if someone wanted to show their cards up at a table I was on. The more people that want to show their cards, the better as far as I can tell.
Old 07-09-2005, 08:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is almost never true in cash games.

SpaceAce
Old 07-09-2005, 09:57 AM

I was playing in a cash game at the Flamingo in Vegas last spring and wasn't paying attention and turned over my cards after the flop. There was still two players in and they let the hand continue. The funny thing was that it went to the river and I ended up winning. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 07-09-2005, 12:32 PM

Well I know this is legal for a fact at the Excalibur. (At least, it was in January.) My friend was playing the baby NL game there and when an old rock made a hugely oversized raise into a ragged flop and a smallish pot, my friend flashed him pocket Kings and the guy's breathing went through the roof, like someone who isn't getting enough oxygen all of a sudden. My friend called, and built up a nice stack. I believe you need to be heads up for this to be legal, and I certainly don't think it would be always be wise or useful to try doing it, but it's interesting to know that it is an option.
Old 07-09-2005, 01:14 PM

It is legal heads up in cash games and not an angle shoot at all. It is a useful move when you have a tough call to make and are good at reading people. It is accepted as part of strategy.