Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2004, 05:53 PM

Default Did Gus piss Doyle off?

On the PSI episode where Doyle and Barry face off for the title, the first hand with DB and Gus Hansen was pretty interesting for its commentary.

I guess it was a similar situation to the previous show of same round where DB raised from the small, gus called, DB slowplayed top pair on the flop, and allowed Gus to go runner-runner on him with T7 to win the pot. Doyle appeared pretty annoyed with himself there, and annoyed at GH's continuing luck.

This time, Doyle has K8h and gus had 67o. DB raises, and GH calls, flop AK2,(which may even be the exact same flop...) Gus says, "last time i got tens and sevens, right?" and Doyle looks at him and says "you think that's funny?" with not a BIT of humor in his voice or appearance, and pushes all in, and GH folds.

BTW, I think this is a great play, as DB was a somewhat short stack before this hand, and GH from the BB with the big stack is likely to reraise DB allin with any Ace or better king, I feel, therefore unless GH happened to flop 222 or KK22, there was little chance DB was behind.
Old 10-18-2004, 07:14 PM

Default it\'s very likely Doyle could\'ve been somewhat...

perturbed. from the episodes i've seen, Gus has gotten lucky a whole lot of times with inferior hands. even if you chalk it up to the other players ALLOWING him to get lucky by not betting enough or checking when they should bet, it still must be frustrating to see him keep catching cards the win everytime with the second best hand.
Old 10-18-2004, 07:52 PM

Default Re: it\'s very likely Doyle could\'ve been somewhat...

Why, if it isn't Gus Hatersen. Many others have gotten lucky. Even Howard Lederer got extremely lucky and won the first series of PSI. He was short stacked (thanks to Hansen) but managed to double up twice and eventually win series one.

I don't think you realize that if you play many hands, you will get "lucky" once in a while and beat AA and other good hands. Get yourself a decent math book and study it.
Old 10-18-2004, 08:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Get yourself a decent math book and study it.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're going to insult someone, at least be a little more creative. Seriously. What sort of math book do you propose I study? My high school calculus book?
Old 10-18-2004, 08:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you're going to insult someone, at least be a little more creative. Seriously. What sort of math book do you propose I study? My high school calculus book?

[/ QUOTE ]

Start with basic arithmetic (2+2=4).
Old 10-19-2004, 12:05 AM

While certainly everyone 'gets lucky' at times, Gus's luck in the PSI has been exceptional. If you can't tell the difference between the occasional draw out and what Gus's run in that series then you are the one who needs to pick up the math book.

In the first round, Howard got lucky twice, once the A7 vs AK vs AK hand and his AJ (i think) vs Phil's AK but the important difference was in both cases Howard's money went in before the flop when his odds of drawing out were reasonable. Gus was hardly unlucky in that round; he consistently called HL when HL was the short stack for odds that didn't justify his calls. "Can I get away from this 9 high" ring any bells? In final round of series 1, he had the better wired pair vs wired pair when the table was getting small 3 or was it 4 times? Notice those hands held up every time. In many of the other hands Gus's draw outs have consistenly been to 3 or fewer outs POST flop which is a huge distinction.

Gus is a great player and IMHO has shown himself to be definitely in the top 3 at that table beyond any doubt but his performance in PSI as shown in the broadcast hands is at least as much due to his getting lucky more often than the rest of the players than to skill.

When you have that particular table of people with their familiarity with probability all talking about how lucky you are, I think it's fair to say you've been pretty lucky.
Old 10-19-2004, 12:37 AM

Surely Gus has been running lucky but Doyles comment was lame... Gus was joking and Doyle was just plain grumpy... Especially lame considering in the context of Doyles chapter in Super System where he repeatedly states that he very often knowingly gets all his money in with the worst of it...
Old 10-19-2004, 12:49 AM

Doyle's comment is Super System is regarding a cash game, not a tournament, different situation entirely.
Old 10-19-2004, 02:19 AM

Default Re: Did Gus piss Doyle off?

Hi Daliman,

Winning a pot is one thing. Rubbing someone's nose in it is something else. I think that's kinda how Doyle took it. That having been said, it's worth noting that Doyle and Gus are good friends, and often hang out together when they're at tournaments.

Cris
Old 10-19-2004, 05:24 AM

Default Re: Did Gus piss Doyle off?

"Gus says, "last time i got tens and sevens, right?""

Well if that isn't the biggest poker tell I've ever seen. I haven't seen the episode yet but Doyle probably picked up on it right away and just decided to take the pot.