Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2005, 07:34 PM

Default Agnosticism/Atheism Quotations

I do not believe in God because I do not believe in Mother Goose.

Clarence Darrow

The philosophy of Atheism represents a concept of life without any metaphysical Beyond or Divine Regulator. It is the concept of an actual, real world with its liberating, expanding and beautifying possibilities, as against an unreal world, which, with its spirits, oracles, and mean contentment has kept humanity in helpless degradation.

Emma Goldman

I'm a born-again atheist.

Gore Vidal

I once wanted to become an atheist but I gave up . . . they have no holidays.

Henny Youngman

Few nations have been so poor as to have but one god. Gods were made so easily, and the raw material cost so little, that generally the god market was fairly glutted and heaven crammed with these phantoms.

Robert Ingersoll

My atheism, like that of Spinoza, is true piety towards the universe and denies only gods fashioned by men in their own image to be servants of their human interests.

George Santayana

Atheism leaves a man to sense, to philosophy, to natural piety, to laws, to reputation; all of which may be guides to an outward moral virtue, even if religion vanished; but religious superstition dismounts all these and erects an absolute monarchy in the minds of men.

Francis Bacon

If God kills, lies, cheats, discriminates, and otherwise behaves in a manner that puts the Mafia to shame, that's okay, he's God. He can do whatever he wants. Anyone who adheres to this philosophy has had his sense of morality, decency, justice and humaneness warped beyond recognition by the very book that is supposedly preaching the opposite.

Dennis McKinsey
Old 10-11-2005, 07:39 PM

Default Re: Agnosticism/Atheism Quotations

One man's religion is another's belly laugh.

Heinlein
Old 10-11-2005, 07:39 PM

Default Re: Agnosticism/Atheism Quotations

You don't believe in all that Ath rubbish do you?

smith and Jones