Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2005, 04:49 AM

Default Comments Please . . .

. . . But not about sixth. I know folding was an egregious error and I became physically ill upon realizing it. No need to rub that one in any further.

7 Card Stud High ($3/$6), Ante $0.50, Bring-In $1 (hand converter)

3rd Street - (1.33 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___completes___raises
Seat 2: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___raises___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds

4th Street - (13.67 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 5: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls

5th Street - (8.33 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 5: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___calls

6th Street - (11.33 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 5: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds

River - (13.33 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx___calls
Seat 5: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xx___bets

Total pot: (15.33 BB)
Old 10-04-2005, 05:42 AM

Default Re: Comments Please . . .

Hi.

I dont really understand your raise on 3rd. I guess this is
not your default play in this situation ??

The 9 completing is unlikely to be on a flush draw 'cos so
many [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] are out. The J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] could be a flush draw,
could be a pair. A lot of the straight cards in their range
are dead too so you are probably firing from behind one or
maybe two hands.

Doesnt flat calling on 4th give away the strength of your
hand in general ??

I would probably have folded 3rd here but I am a squeaky
tight stud player.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:07 PM

I have another hand posted that is titled "No Content." The opponents in that hand are the same ones present in this hand. That may give some indication as to why I played third street the way I did.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:18 PM

Haven't read the other posts, but I'll assume the opponents are maniacs. You still don't want to raise with a marginal hand here. Just call and see what develops -- building big pots with marginal hands is just getting in and gambling with 'em. Against a tight opponent, you'd likely fold your 8s. But against this guy, you may have the best hand, so call. But it's not so great that you want to pump the pot. do that with an overpair . Just see what you catch on fourth and fifth, keep the pot reasonable and then pump up the action and get in and "gamble" with a big edge -- don't worry, they'll still give you action.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:43 PM

OK I see what you are up against now [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

This time they did not go completely passive on the later
streets though so you probably are beaten.

Do these sort of players play regularly or just crash,
burn and disappear ?
Old 10-04-2005, 01:47 PM

They crash, burn and disappear. Or they improve.
Old 10-04-2005, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Haven't read the other posts, but I'll assume the opponents are maniacs. You still don't want to raise with a marginal hand here. Just call and see what develops -- building big pots with marginal hands is just getting in and gambling with 'em. Against a tight opponent, you'd likely fold your 8s. But against this guy, you may have the best hand, so call. But it's not so great that you want to pump the pot. do that with an overpair . Just see what you catch on fourth and fifth, keep the pot reasonable and then pump up the action and get in and "gamble" with a big edge -- don't worry, they'll still give you action.

[/ QUOTE ]

I made a change in my game in a session just this morning--I started limping in, often, with what I figured to be the best hand when there were already a few people in the pot, since completing never drove anyone out anyways. Then I would use 4th street to isolate. I would only complete/raise if I held kings or aces (or an overpair over a completer's door)--and I even limped in with wired aces once after an A had limped and I was immediately to his left--on 4th, he bet and I raised to isolate him, and I ended up taking a good pot from him on 7th with the aces UI.

I know this is something discussed in 7CSFAP, but I had never really taken it to heart that by creating a big pot on 3rd I was just making my opponents' chases correct. I definitely ran better in my session this morning than I did yesterday, in general, but part of that was the huge amount of money I saved by limping and then either isolating or getting out of the way myself on 4th.

Basically, I had continued to play 3rd street like I was still at 1/2, where the completion is double the BI, not triple. If these opponents were tighter, and a completion could isolate on 3rd, then the completion with J's or Q's would be correct... but they're not, and it won't, so building the pot just gives them odds to chase.
Old 10-04-2005, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OK I see what you are up against now [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

This time they did not go completely passive on the later
streets though so you probably are beaten.

Do these sort of players play regularly or just crash,
burn and disappear ?

[/ QUOTE ]

I still don't see a reason to call 3rd here. you are still going to have to show down the best hand here even if they are a little crazy. I would think it would be better to wait for a big hand on 3rd and then punish them for their poor play rather than getting tangled up with your mediocre holding when it is already a bet and raise to you and you have no money in the pot.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:22 PM

ridiculous play