Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Sports Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2004, 02:40 AM

Default Betting against your own team?

I was just curious to see if anyone else stays away from betting against their home team. Personally I can never bet against my hometown teams. I guess it was because I lost a big bet a long time ago when I bet against my team covering a spread and it has always left a bad taste in my mouth.

I'll never bet against any Arizona or San Diego team even if a spread looks good. Is that normal or do most people bet regardless if they see a pretty good game even if it is against their own team?
Old 11-25-2004, 03:22 AM

Default Re: Betting against your own team?

I stay away from betting the White Sox. Won't bet for them, won't bet against them. A bet against them, and I gotta root against them. A bet for them and I feel like I'm just betting with my heart, and not in a smart way. So I just stay away from them.
Old 11-25-2004, 06:35 AM

I know more about my home team than I do about any other team in the league or country.

Therefore, I will not hesitate to bet on or against my team if I see a value bet.

Just because I put money against my team doesn't mean I have to pull against them. I consider the events (the game and the wager) independent of each other.
Old 11-25-2004, 07:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Therefore, I will not hesitate to bet on or against my team if I see a value bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo - agree 100%
Old 11-25-2004, 10:15 AM

In general, I stay away on betting FOR my favorite teams. I just feel that, no matter how hard I try to convince myself otherwise, there's too much bias involved.

I'm a little more inclined to bet against my favorite teams because its easier - for me, anyways - to be objectively critical, and I take a sort of "Maybe if they lose they'll get their butts in gear" attitude. A good example is the Rams this year. Just not a good team, and I've bet against them at the appropriate times.

I would suppose that this is a personal decision for everyone, centered around how objective and removed you can be when deciding which plays you will make.
Old 11-25-2004, 04:35 PM

LOL "YOUR team"...

Such a joke. Pro sports is just like movies and tv. It's just entertainment. It's not like you are betting for or againts your kids high school team.

Do you think the players and owners give a crap who you bet on??? [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 11-25-2004, 05:58 PM

You are obviously missing the point. I can assume you aren't superstitious then. Quite a few people have something that they believe is bad luck or good luck. They either stay away from doing it if it is bad luck or if it is good luck then they continue to do it. I would assume gamblers in general would be more likely to believe in good and bad luck as opposed to someone who doesn't gamble.

To some people it may not be "just entertainment". If you grew up in Boston going to Red Sox games with your father there is more of a sentimental value and bringing yourself to bet against the Red Sox probably wouldn't be an option.
Old 11-26-2004, 08:54 PM

I will not bet on or against the Steelers in any game, however I did make the Redskins my top pick in the 3+1 this week, but would never actually bet on the game.

I do bet on props, and hit the jackpot this year with the over 7.5 wins for the steelers, maybe the easiest money i ever made.

Rick Diesel
Old 11-26-2004, 11:38 PM

Maybe I'm just tired of the vikings. Bunch of losers who start every year like gangbusters, barely make the playoffs and then choke in the first round.