Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2005, 07:09 PM

Default I feel ashamed for not raising with my no-draw ten-high.

Button is a loose-passive type, bit of a slowplayer as many loose-passives are, also a big time calling station.

I had just made a big bluff a couple hands earlier, figured it was time to slow down . . . on the other hand, I think I was just throwing money away by not betting the turn or raising his turn bet. I guess I was afraid he'd call down with A-high. How often do you bet here? How often do you checkraise? I think both are +EV if done `1/3rd of the time.

It was 5-handed, loose-passive button open-limped, SB completed, I checked in the BB with T7o.

Flop comes something like 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] . I make my first mistake and check after the SB checks, the button checks as well.

The turn is the Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB checks, I check, Button bets, SB folds, and I fail to value-raise with my T-high and wuss out.

Now, I can't make a move here EVERY time, but I think it's +EV to do so some of the time.

So, a question for all you out there. In a situation where a loose-passive open-limps, schmoe SB completes, and you have utter trash:

1) What % of the time do you bet this flop?
2) IF the flop is checked through, what % of the time do you bet the turn after it pairs? What % of the time do you try to checkraise the almost-inevitable button bet instead?

I think the proper %s should be something like 30%, and then given flop is checked through, something like bet the turn 30% of the time and checkraise the turn 20% of the time. Maybe lean towards the checkraise if you think the button might call a turn and river bet with A-high at this point.

Yes, it's a small pot, but NOBODY seems interested in it . . .
Old 05-02-2005, 07:17 PM

Default Re: I feel ashamed for not raising with my no-draw ten-high.

I bet this turn almost 100% of the time.

-Mike
Old 05-02-2005, 07:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I bet this turn almost 100% of the time.

-Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure that's closer to correct than 30%. I probably bet here more than 30% of the time, come to think of it.
Old 05-02-2005, 07:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Button is a loose-passive type, bit of a slowplayer as many loose-passives are, also a big time calling station.

[/ QUOTE ]

c/r your T high would be pretty awful given that read

I bet the flop 90% of the time, and the turn maybe 30%
Old 05-02-2005, 07:47 PM

I bet the turn nearly 100% too. Flop is more situational, but I still bet it at least 50% I'd guess.
Old 05-02-2005, 07:54 PM

I probably bet the flop 60-70% of the time, and bet the turn about 90% if the flop is checked through. I've been playing small stakes weak-tight crap games on full tilt recently though.
Old 05-02-2005, 08:45 PM

I would bet the flop rarely. Less then 20%. A loose passive is going to call most of time he probably has overs. So he calls now what.
The turn I am betting almost every time. So easy to take the pot down. Looks like a check raise gone bad
very unlikely improvement for anyone. Small pot little invested, LP's are giving this pot up most of the time and you are getting 3-2 on your money. I think you take this pot down well over 50% of the time.
Old 05-02-2005, 08:49 PM

I think the proper %s should be something like 30%, and then given flop is checked through, something like bet the turn 30% of the time and checkraise the turn 20% of the time.

Grisgra,

How are you arriving at these numbers? Is this just a pure feel thing, or is there some analysis involved?

thanks,
gm
Old 05-02-2005, 08:56 PM

do you fold if you get raised on the turn by a tricky player? (when you get something 'decent' like A-high)
Old 05-02-2005, 10:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the proper %s should be something like 30%, and then given flop is checked through, something like bet the turn 30% of the time and checkraise the turn 20% of the time.

Grisgra,

How are you arriving at these numbers? Is this just a pure feel thing, or is there some analysis involved?

thanks,
gm

[/ QUOTE ]

Pure feel -- basically just mixing up the game. Seems that if I bet at these ragged flops every single time, people will respect my bets less and less -- if I roll over and let these ragged flops go by me some of the time, then the times I bet, I must have something, right? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]