Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: is it worth getting mlb.tv?
Yes. well worth it. 6 50.00%
No. Rip off. bad quality. 4 33.33%
About the same. 2 16.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-24-2005, 10:08 AM

Default What are you?

If you're going to vote, please take the test. Don't just make an assumption because you might be surprised.

http://typology.people-press.org/typology/
Old 06-24-2005, 02:10 PM

Default Re: What are you?

I came out as an Enterpriser. Reading the description after, I thought it was fairly accurate, although some of the percentages, I didnt fit into, the most notable being that I dont regard Fox News as my primary news source and saying that I have very little support for government help for the poor. But overall, interesting survey. Thanks for the link.
Old 06-24-2005, 02:28 PM

I was also an enterpriser although I found some of the questions ridiculous, as if the only choices are giving handouts to the poor and ignoring them. Giving people handouts just keeps them subjegated what we need to do is teach people that their fate is in their own hands and focus on job training for people that need it.
Old 06-24-2005, 02:42 PM

I qualified as an "Upbeat" ;-) [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Interesting survey; some choices were kind of tough, but overall there seemed enough leeway to show a preference, even though few questions seemed a perfect fit.

Cool survey, Grey [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 06-24-2005, 02:50 PM

So far, you're the only upbeat.

I scored a downbeat. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

No, I was a liberal. Duh.
Old 06-24-2005, 03:08 PM

I am, naturally, an upbeat. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

As with many surveys/polls of this nature, I do not take much stock in the results, however interesting they may be.

-Zeno
Old 06-24-2005, 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am, naturally, an upbeat. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

As with many surveys/polls of this nature, I do not take much stock in the results, however interesting they may be.

-Zeno

[/ QUOTE ]

An Upbeat misanthrope...eerie, yet strangely fitting. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-24-2005, 03:23 PM

Andy I am very disappointed in you.

A few days ago I responded to another poster's statement, calling his post a striking example of how liberals don't live in reality.

You were silent, and thereby greatly disappointed me.

I had half-expected you to riposte something beginning with, "Well, this liberal......";-)

To which I would have responded: no, Andy, you don't live in reality--you live in history books.

But you blew it, Andy. Get with the program why don't you. My sense of humor has very limited opportunities.

I guess I should have figured it wasn't likely to work, because from your poker posts you don't appear to be a very auspicious candidate for a check-raise attempt.

I guess next time I'll need lead you by the nose a little more; after all, it wasn't your post to which I was responding.

Back now to the current topic: it seems to me that "liberals" and "downbeat" tend to go together a bit more than the flip side go together: would you agree? (not a trick question, and "downbeat" is here meant as a rather pessimistic outlook).
Old 06-24-2005, 03:48 PM

My result was enterpriser yet I did not vote for Bush, was against the Iraq war from the beginning and am not even close to being a Republican.

This leads me to question the polls methodology and conclusions drawn.
Old 06-24-2005, 03:48 PM

Didn't see your liberal/reality post, sorry. I normally don't like to miss an opportunity to tell you how wrong you are. Alas, tomorrow is another day. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Thanks for the compliment on my poker posts. I think I've progressed from a B- to a solid B, borderline B+, in large part due to 2+2. I'm that proverbial 78 golfer David mentioned in one of his articles; I'll get killed by the par shooters, but there are a lot of guy who shoot in the 80s (or higher).

As for leading me by the nose, we haven't met, but if we did, you'd see that'd be pretty easy.

As for liberals and downbeat, well they're out of power now, so they're naturally critical. During the '60s and '70s, and during the Clinton years, the conservatives were downbeat. Reagan, for example, constantly said we were going to hell in a handbasket (or whatever that expression is), despite his optimistic reputation, whereas Hubert Humphrey was known as "The Happy Warrior." I suppose in the sense that liberals favor change, and conservatives the status quo (and I realize that these are somewhat oversimplified definitions of the terms), liberals would tend to be more downbeat, since if they favor change, that would mean there is something wrong that requires changing.

By my being a "downbeat," I was referring to my curmudgeon-like demeanor, rather than any political stances.

As for my life in history books, like my not-quite hero Thomas Jefferson, I cannot live without books. Today, I received my latest order from Amazon: A biography of the great California architect Irving Gill; a book about the TV Show The West Wing; and "Managing Sales for Business Growth."

Man does not live by the nut flush alone.