Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2005, 06:00 PM

Default FBI: Newsweek Was Right

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...anamo_koran_dc

[ QUOTE ]
"Personally, he has nothing against the United States. The guards in the detention facility do not treat him well. Their behavior is bad. About five months ago, the guards beat the detainees. They flushed a Koran in the toilet," the FBI agent wrote.

"The guards dance around when the detainees are trying to pray. The guards still do these things," the FBI agent wrote.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/ar...e_allegations/

[ QUOTE ]
The once-secret FBI documents show a consistency to the allegations and are the first indication that Justice and Defense department officials were aware in early 2002 that detainees were accusing their guards of mistreating the holy book.

[/ QUOTE ]

Newsweek never did make a mistake. Their source just didn't have the balls to stand up to the White House. But then, when a White House is willing to politically edit reports on things even as serious as global warming, I don't really know if I blame him. The whole Newsweek debacle looks suspiciously like the source didn't have a copy, and confirmations of abuse were edited out after the story broke.
Old 05-25-2005, 06:42 PM

Default Re: FBI: Newsweek Was Right

And to think... there were neocons saying that the write should be tried for murder.

Then there will all the usual loonies who said they were liberal lies.

Of course this probably just means that the FBI is just part of the liberal conspiracy.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:11 PM

Do you always have to accuse the right of being wrong? There was reason to doubt the article was incorrect. Besides, not everyone on the right is like jax and trippin.
Old 05-25-2005, 10:34 PM

I genuinely said the 'loony right' meaning, as opposed to the non loonies.

To me, and I apologize for not being clear, were the kind of people called for murder trials for the writer and the kind of people who assume any story that is critical of something in the US (or specifically, something by this administration) then it is automatically a lie and proof that the media is just out to get him.

Even when Newsweek retracted, they did so because their source recanted. It was never as if Newsweek was trying making stuff up. Which is how the 'loonies' immediately characterized it.

Apologies to any sensible Republicans.

On a related note, it is still unproven if the even ever happened. I believe from the beginning, it has always been said that there were reports of Koranic Degradation (I know that's not a real phrase but it sounded right) but they were never substantiated.

Clearly, there were reports of incidents, but it is unknown how reliable they are.

I don't think most people are like Jax, trippin or Utah.

Matter of fact, I think it was MMMMMMM who is from the right and I've enjoyed my debates with him. He seems smart and able to articulate his viewpoint so you can see where he's coming from even if you ultimately come to a different conclusion.

Last... for the record, my Mother and Father have been mostly life-long Republicans. My mom changes years ago and my father is hovering (he is still an old school republican but has a lot of problems with the way the party has changed over the years... he doesn't really think they stick to traditional Republican issues.) Point being that I respect my father, have healthy debates with him and we often can sway others on individual issues.

When I mock the right, its usual the Limbaugh Lite/Coultier wannabes. I don't think they represent the majority of the right... but they tend to be the most vocal.
Old 05-25-2005, 11:01 PM

Weren't you backpedaling just a week ago? Just had to point that out.

Still worthwhile though.
Old 05-25-2005, 11:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Weren't you backpedaling just a week ago? Just had to point that out.

Still worthwhile though.

[/ QUOTE ]What?