Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Two Plus Two > Two Plus Two Internet Magazine
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2005, 06:24 PM

Default Re: Dennis Bragg: Pushing/Defending In The Blinds: The Next Logical St

[ QUOTE ]
As an aside, if you opponent knows this then it actually becomes correct to push any two from the SB since the BB cannot call often enough to punish you for your loose pushes.

This just shows how different and counter intuitive proper bubble play can be. If the BB does decide to call then it hurts the SB, but it also hurts himself and the remaining players are the grateful recipients of all that lost $EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly what I'm going to cover in my second article (the first has been accepted but not published). I'll give a lot of examples and explain what's going on.
Old 07-12-2005, 09:44 PM

Yes, I agree completely with what you are saying. I was focusing on your original example of folding AK. I think it is a rare bubble situation where folding AK to an all-in raise is correct.
Old 07-14-2005, 12:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, I agree completely with what you are saying. I was focusing on your original example of folding AK. I think it is a rare bubble situation where folding AK to an all-in raise is correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

You must not play very many SNGs.
Old 07-14-2005, 12:28 AM

Rabbit, if you don't mind, could you cover your SNG experience?

Thanks in advance, Scuba
Old 07-14-2005, 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Only about 200 games, mostly 20+2. But I've tried to make most of my article based on mathematics and game theory rather than judgement. Here's an example of what you'll be getting in my article. Take your example where you have 4 people on the bubble, each with equal stacks. I look at not only the example where the stacks are 10BB, but at shallower stacks as well.

Pushing from the SB:

Calling from the BB:

The cards marked in white mean that you should push with a deeper stack, but not if it gets shallower than indicated. Otherwise it means push/call if the stack size is this much or smaller.

I'll also give other examples on the bubble besides everyone having equal stacks.
Old 07-14-2005, 02:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Only about 200 games, mostly 20+2. But I've tried to make most of my article based on mathematics and game theory rather than judgement.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you comment more about your background in poker in general then? I am trying to find out more about where you are coming from.

Also, just to give my background. I've played about 4,000 SNGs just this year. About 80% $30+3s, and 20% $50+5s (and a couple handfuls of $109s). Anyway, I think your article has some minor flaws. I PM'd Eastbay about your article, and that's why you see his post (And I seriously doubt he skimmed it. It's more likely he read it through once, and that's all). IMO, Eastbay is likely one of the most valuable resources this forum has with regard to the Math and SitNGos. Don't read this to say that I think he is THE supreme authority, but he's the most valuable math resource I'm aware of, and I have great respect for his opinion and skill.

I did read your article, and although I agree with the lionshare of your article, I think that it misses some subtle important issues, which Eastbay said succinctly - "he has not considered payout structure."

Good luck at the tables.
Scuba
Old 07-14-2005, 02:44 PM

As I read this thread, trojanrabbit is not Dennis Bragg, but is writing a couple of articles on the same topic that are yet to be published.
Old 07-14-2005, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As I read this thread, trojanrabbit is not Dennis Bragg, but is writing a couple of articles on the same topic that are yet to be published.

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct.