Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-27-2005, 08:51 PM

Default March of the Penguins

I have not seen this film, so if any of my information is incorrect I apologize in advance, it is just what was relayed to me.

To make a long story short: at a recent party a family member recommended that anyone who has not seen March of the Penguins see it, saying that it was an amazingly powerful film that will make anyone cry. Apparently every year the penguins go through a grueling mating ritual, after which the mother will trek 70 miles to find food for their young while the father waits and guards the egg so that it does not touch the ice, freeze, and break. Needless to say, I got some dirty looks when I asked "What's the big deal? It's what they're biologically inclined to do." I went on to tell them that the only reason anyone finds it touching or moving is because they unintentionally apply human thought characteristics to the animals, thus making their actions seem based on compassion, love, loyalty, etc. rather than nature/instinct... after all, they're just penguins.

I have told some friends about this scenario, and answers have ranged from "well yeah" to "what the hell is wrong with you, is your heart made of stone?" (The former usually from men, the latter from women... other family members gave me crap for it later but never really confronted me).

So I'm posting this for anyone else's take on the issue. I'm by no means an insensitive guy, but I really just don't see eye to eye with most people on this.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.