Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2005, 07:41 PM

Default TT against a donk, 400nl

400nl on prima. Villan has 400 and I got him covered. Im newish to table but in that time I saw villan call a raise to 24 cold with Q9 suited and then the BB's allin for 84 total. Anyways I got TT UTG and limp. 2 limpers and villan makes it 8. 3 callers back to me and I decided to drop the hammer, reraise, 56 cold. Villan is the only caller.

Flop comes J93. I bet for 110 into 140 pot. villan thinks awhile then calls. Turn is the Q giving me an outside straight draw. 250 left and 360 in pot. Auto push? Check fold? I think auto push is correct, but I would like to get different perspectives and see if anyone checks the flop.
Old 11-05-2005, 08:27 PM

Default Re: TT against a donk, 400nl

Ewwww, this is a horrible spot. WTF is he minraising with and then calling a sizeable raise with? No, I don't check the flop. I guess I just stick it in, although Villain sounds like the type that would call you with something like J8o or something like that. I'm really not sure what to do here.

Btw, why is it that interesting posts like this never get any responses?
Old 11-05-2005, 08:29 PM

Push
Old 11-05-2005, 08:41 PM

I think your preflop reraise was for too much, because now all of a sudden you are playing a big pot, out of position, and so many overcards can hurt you on the flop. If you were going to raise that much you might as well have raised all in, there are too many scary flops for you. I think calling or raising smaller is best.

On the flop I feel an all in bet is superior to the bet you made, as you are committed to the pot in both cases but you have more fold equity with an all in. And given the way you played it, on the turn you have to push. Betting and checking the flop is close, depends if you want to play poker.
Old 11-05-2005, 08:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I read this post before, and didn't respond because I honestly have no idea what to do in this situation and I have never played 400nl so I thought this was possibly out of my league to advice on and let others respond instead so I can learn
Old 11-05-2005, 08:46 PM

Push isn't terrible but I prefer a check/fold. There will be a better time to get this guy. Though he did call a big bet with Q9, that was preflop and he had hope. When he calls your flop bet that means he must have something. Even if it's just an inside straight and overcard. You are losing to AQ, AJ, KQ, KJ, QJ, and KT. Just because he's a donk doesn't mean he can't have a set either. Now, you're beating AK, K9, and A9. Don't see many other hands he could have. He may have a K for one of your straight outs, and if you hit your set that may complete his straight. I don't think you have much fold equity based on his description, so I like a check fold. Let him think you're weak and spank him later.
Old 11-05-2005, 08:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I read this post before, and didn't respond because I honestly have no idea what to do in this situation and I have never played 400nl so I thought this was possibly out of my league to advice on and let others respond instead so I can learn

[/ QUOTE ]
You'll see Malachii? That's why...
Old 11-05-2005, 08:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think your preflop reraise was for too much, because now all of a sudden you are playing a big pot, out of position, and so many overcards can hurt you on the flop. If you were going to raise that much you might as well have raised all in, there are too many scary flops for you. I think calling or raising smaller is best.

On the flop I feel an all in bet is superior to the bet you made, as you are committed to the pot in both cases but you have more fold equity with an all in. And given the way you played it, on the turn you have to push. Betting and checking the flop is close, depends if you want to play poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont agree. I feel a smaller bet may get a ton of calls, which I dont want. There is a good chance that I will win now, which is the goal, and if I get called by the donk, which happened, There is a good chance he is dominated. He really could have any hand here, no only PP's or broadway, however these must be considered the most likely.

I dont like pushing the flop becuase it makes his call preflop correct woth any hand if I just push. Potting it is a better line and can get worse hands to call.
Old 11-05-2005, 09:17 PM

It's true that you have a good chance of picking it up right there with your reraise, but it makes the flop more difficult to play. (I should clarify, in this situation I define a smaller reraise as around $30) Why not call and try to double through him on an rags flop or if you hit your set? My big concern with a reraise is that if I get called, the flop can easily comes with one or two overcards and I will not know what to do because his hand range is so wide and the bigger pot will be harder to get away from.

I see your point with potting the flop being better than an all in push, you're right, although all the money will be going in somehow from this point, either here or on the turn, you are more likely to get a weaker hand to call you; it's hard to imagine a weaker hand that could call an all in.

What do you think of, say, a 1/2 pot bet on the flop. And lso what do you mean by this: "I dont like pushing the flop becuase it makes his call preflop correct woth any hand if I just push."
Old 11-05-2005, 09:37 PM

I meant that by pushing the flop, he would have been right to call preflop with a hand like J2 since I gave him the right odds.

In terms of the size of my raise, 30 is too small, since its only 22 more and there was so much dead money in the pot. 40 is the least I could have made it to not get a string of calls. I dont mind my preflop play on this hand since his range is so big and TT is a big favrite over a large range of hands, but the turn and flop were tricky situations.