Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2005, 04:03 PM

Default NCAA tells athletes from hurricane schools to bend over

In another brilliant move by the NCAA, college players in the Gulf Coast area who no longer have a team to play for must still sit for a year if they want to transfer.

Head of the NCAA had said he would show some flexibility, don't hurt yourself trying to find it.
Old 09-15-2005, 05:15 PM

Default Re: NCAA tells athletes from hurricane schools to bend over

[ QUOTE ]
In another brilliant move by the NCAA, college players in the Gulf Coast area who no longer have a team to play for must still sit for a year if they want to transfer.

Head of the NCAA had said he would show some flexibility, don't hurt yourself trying to find it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Myles Brand is a douchebag. Always has been, always will be.

This is a guy who made it a point to fire one of the winningest coaches in college basketball. Made a name for himself then suddenly became NCAA president. Coincidence? I think not.
Old 09-15-2005, 06:39 PM

Default 100% correct.

[ QUOTE ]
Myles Brand is a douchebag. Always has been, always will be.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-15-2005, 07:01 PM

1. the NCAA has to protect its member schools in the affected areas

2. the NCAA doesnt want its atletes to be professional athletes, think about it. they want athletes to have at least the appearance of being students, it doesnt make them look great when recruited athletes jump around from school to school just so they can play ball.

im mostly playing devils advocate, this really sucks for the kids affected and its not a great solution, but i see what theyre trying to do. ive dealt with the NCAA up close and i know how stupid some of their rules are, but I'm not totally convinced theyre wrong here.
Old 09-15-2005, 08:00 PM

Your school is underwater, have a good year.

Sincerely,

NCAA
Old 09-15-2005, 08:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

2. the NCAA doesnt want its atletes to be professional athletes, think about it. they want athletes to have at least the appearance of being students, it doesnt make them look great when recruited athletes jump around from school to school just so they can play ball.

im mostly playing devils advocate, this really sucks for the kids affected and its not a great solution, but i see what theyre trying to do. ive dealt with the NCAA up close and i know how stupid some of their rules are, but I'm not totally convinced theyre wrong here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not entirely convinced they're wrong here either...I just really wanted an opportunity to tear Brand a new [censored].

To be fair, I haven't heard of any seasons being cancelled yet. That is, unless we're talking about some D3 schools and whatnot, I know that teams like LSU, Marshall, and Tulane may have their games displaced, but that's the worst I've heard.
Old 09-15-2005, 08:47 PM

This is the one time I can remember where I actually agree with the NCAA.

-McGee
Old 09-15-2005, 08:55 PM

Someone's going to get hosed. Either the schools, who are left without teams, and don't have the scholarships possible to rebuild in a year, or the students who are going to be possibly playing a full season of road games.

Either way, like someone else mentioned, I haven't heard of any seasons being cancelled for major programs, so letting people change teams would be unfair.
Old 09-15-2005, 09:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Clearly scholarship athletes are professionals and should be denied amateur status. That isn't going to happen though. But anyway, the rule is to help the corrupt schools of course, and it should be changed. There should be no transfer restrictions on athletes at all and no waiting for eligibility etc... Why? because they are supposed to be amateurs. They are supposed to have the appearance of being students. Students can transfer to any school that will have them at any time. No responsible educator would ever take a position that hurt his own students, right? LOL [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

The other thing I love is this. The schools only make a 1 year commitment to the scholarship athlete; athletic scholarships are renewable annually and kids can be dumped from the program. Why not let kids do the same? Oh, yeah, the corrupt schools need cheap and protected labor to sell out the educational values (if any) of the member school.

So yes, if athletes were allowed to transfer, there would be more bidding wars for the students and corruption would be more open. Good.

Oh, and why should the schools worry. Student athletes decide where to go based on many factors. The academics, the atmosphere of the school, etc... Once they decide, they won't just go to the highest bidder or something, right.... [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 09-15-2005, 11:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

This is a guy who made it a point to fire one of the winningest coaches in college basketball.

[/ QUOTE ]

While he is indeed an idiot, he didn't fire Knight, the man fired himself. The king of teaching discipline had none himself and he paid for it. Heck, the University did everything in its power to *not* fire Knight.