Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2004, 11:51 AM

Default Re: Call or no?

Just to play the devil's advocate here -- you did describe this young Japanese guy as someone who knows what he's doing. What do you think he put you on with the preflop re-raise? Granted, $70 from the button in that situation looks much more like a multi-way hand than aces, but he has to put you on something big.

In terms of odds, this is still probably a call, because his bet isn't even the size of the pot and there's a lot of uncertainty about his holding -- but, then again, why couldn't he play a set of nines this way? If I put you on AA/KK, I might make that $200 push here, knowing you couldn't get away from it with $280 in the pot.

-DB
Old 12-11-2004, 05:38 PM

I havent heard anyone mention the two players who have already checked. Shouldent the fact that there are still two guys behind you still left to act a significant consideration, esspecially considering, they probably check a set to the raiser?
Old 12-12-2004, 09:19 AM

In terms of odds, this is still probably a call, because his bet isn't even the size of the pot and there's a lot of uncertainty about his holding -- but, then again, why couldn't he play a set of nines this way? If I put you on AA/KK, I might make that $200 push here, knowing you couldn't get away from it with $280 in the pot.

-DB

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummmm, b/c you're GUARANTEED to get a call and maybe even a 2nd call if you check it to him.
Old 12-12-2004, 09:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I havent heard anyone mention the two players who have already checked. Shouldent the fact that there are still two guys behind you still left to act a significant consideration, esspecially considering, they probably check a set to the raiser?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not enough to make you fold. Thats not exactly a two pairish type flop, so either someone has a set or you have way the best hand, and the likelihood of the former is not great. Regardless, pretend Asian kid checks it to you. You were most likely going to make a bet sizable enough to committ you to paying off a set from the other 2 anyhow.