Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2005, 02:46 PM

Default Re: Why Current Online Win Rates Won\'t Persist

lol you are kidding - an Chinese or Indian maths graduate ain't going to stick at nano limits - he's going to want to play dumb drunk americans at the $200 tables at midnight (US time) Saturday night...same as the rest of us [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-02-2005, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
jeez... and I was worried Ljubljana was going to take it all over.

The Chinese and Russians too; where's McCarthy?

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't worry, Bush has a little more time to get another war on with these countries. Write a letter to your local senator and we will stop these "low wage" poker players from invading our God given right!!!11! After all, Gore invented the internet, it's ours!
Old 12-02-2005, 02:58 PM

ooooh! a typo! such an egregious error.
Old 12-02-2005, 03:13 PM

do you even play poker?

from the content of this post, i'd guess no...
Old 12-02-2005, 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Maybe you'll proofread what you write if you're planning on criticizing someone's language skills.
Old 12-02-2005, 03:17 PM

why are people assuming the ratio of shark/fish brought in by 2nd and 3rd world countries will be the same as it is here. If(most likely when) people in mexico discover online poker; people who recognize it as a difficult place to make money WILL NOT take up the game. People who have dreams of making it big at the tables WILL NOT take up the game(when you are poor you are very practical and realistic, trust me). For the same reason people who want to have fun and do some gambling will not take up the game either. The people who will take up the game will be people who recognize their own intelligence and mental acumen and furthermore recognize they will be +ev at the tables. In america 9 out of 10 players will be losers. When people in mexico start playing this will not be the case. There will be many more sharks then fish coming into the game. And the fish are going to quit playing very quickly.

Someone mentioned sshe is only written in english. A very large number of educated people in other countries speak english. This is just another reason the ratio of sharks to fish will be greater.

It seems like people are picturing a family with walking sticks walking to the river to get water supply and living off chickens in their backyards is what 2nd and 3rd world countries are.

In Mexico, in Belize, in Brazil, in India, in China, there are very intelligent people that get paid small wages. If they become aware of the wages people are making playing poker they are definately going to look into the game. These guys are not going to take up nano limits for profit. Maybe just to get aquainted with the game. They will play lowstakes and up. As the tables become tighter they will continue to play where many american "play to live" players will not.
Old 12-02-2005, 03:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
do you even play poker?

from the content of this post, i'd guess no...

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you say that?

I do play, not as my sole source of income, but I do manage to earn about 2k a month playing the weekends and after work, mostly at lower limits 2/4 to 5/10.

It was the differential between what I earn playing and what several south american friends earn that got me interested in ths subject.
Old 12-02-2005, 03:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Maybe you'll proofread what you write if you're planning on criticizing someone's language skills.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? The guy he critiqued either didn't read my post or lacked the ability to comprehend what he was reading.
Old 12-02-2005, 03:40 PM

I don't have an overwhelming desire to criticize anyone's language skills (unlike others).

The problem is, his post is similar to others, which basically are assuming that OP said we are going to run out of fish. It was already pointed out that that was not what OP was talking about. It's simply dissapointing to have the same old distractions in a good thread.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:04 PM

So if I undertsand your logic, you're basically saying you only want to play against people in your own wealth bracket, and you don't think poor people should be allowed to play with rich people?

Or is it OK with you if poor Americans play against you, just not poor foreigners?

Do you think this stance is morally defensible, or do you just hope that regulations will be structured to maintain a pool of players that you think you can make money off of (for pragmatic rather than moral reasons)?

I hope this doesn't sound like an attack, I'm just curious about where you're coming from with this. I, for one, enjoy the fact that I can play with people from around the world; its one of the things I love about the internet. But I'm not playing poker professionally.

Also, I don't think its accurate to think that poker players in poor countries will stick to lower limits. I think that, like many people who play now, they will try to play at the levels that are most profitable for them. So, when someone from a poor country gets good enough to dominate at one limit level, I think they will move up. If someone understands poker well enough to win big consistantly at one level, I think they'll understand that its profitable to move up in limits at some point.