Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-24-2005, 12:54 AM

Default $22 - Donk-pushing 77 in the SB

PartyPoker, Big Blind is t50 (7 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

CO (t1635)
MP1 (t988)
UTG+1 (t650)
UTG (t760)
BB (t1710)
Hero (t1437)
Button (t820)

Preflop: Hero is in SB with 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
<font color="gray">UTG folds</font>, <font color="gray">UTG+1 folds</font>, <font color="gray">MP1 folds</font>, <font color="red">CO raises t100</font>, <font color="gray">Button folds</font>, Hero calls t75, <font color="red">BB raises t450</font>, <font color="gray">CO folds</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises t1337 (All-in)</font>

Peep-a-leep-a-ding-ding

k so CO was pretty loose. BB was playing solid to this point. My thought is that CO raise could easily be a steal. I call, which I can do with a fair number of hands. BB knows this and realizes that neither of are hands rate to be particularly strong, so he can make a play with a quite a number of hands. Meaning his hand isn't necessarily strong, and he could do this with a lot of hands with which he'd fold to a push.
Old 12-24-2005, 01:14 AM

Default Re: $22 - Donk-pushing 77 in the SB

At a $22, i dont really like the play. Most people arent smart enough to be squeezing here, so I think he has a real hand. That said, i'm probably reraising preflop, to try to take it down vs. a loose CO raisor. If the BB reraises you, you can get out, knowing you're beat.

Also, aren't you kind of telling the BB your hand range by making this play? I'd probably put you at 55-99, AQ-. Does this sound right to anyone?
Old 12-24-2005, 01:18 AM

Why take such a chance when you have a healthy chipstack? Do you really think you have alot of FE here? I doubt the guy is making some fancy move - he probably has a real hand that he's not laying down.

Seems a bit FPS to me, since you said yourself that BB was a solid player. As such, he should know that the squeeze play is not a very good play on a 22.
Old 12-24-2005, 01:25 AM

Honestly I see him calling a huge amount of the time and at best you are a coinflip. The small chance he folds and the dead money in the pot makes this a good play though... eh?
Old 12-24-2005, 01:28 AM

i would just say that i think youre giving the villian BB a bit too much credit as a thinking player, despite your read as solid. its difficult to make reliable reads in these games without at least a few tournaments with the player.

[ QUOTE ]
with which he'd fold to a push.

[/ QUOTE ]

Except that he's already put over 1/3rd of his stack in on a re-raise after a raise and a call. If he thinks he's flipping a coin, which he most certainly is in the best case scenario for you, there's a lot of dead money to make the call.

I like this a lot better if it's the solid player who's stuck in the middle. i.e. you limp with 77, get a raise from solid guy, call from loosey, then you raise all-in squeezing out solid guy, leaving you with loosey who is less likely to have a hand. But then that throws out your whole thought out reasoning for making the move you made, so never mind.

I think there's a bit of Ilyaitis going on here...namely you're misattributing all sorts of sophisticated thought processes to your opponent(s)...even if BB is a winning multitabler, he's almost always gonna have his values here I think. In fact him seeming solid would make me think it's even more likely for him to have a strong hand here. I would just fold.
Old 12-24-2005, 01:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i would just say that i think youre giving the villian BB a bit too much credit as a thinking player, despite your read as solid.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I think there's a bit of Ilyaitis going on here...namely you're misattributing all sorts of sophisticated thought processes to your opponent(s)...even if BB is a winning multitabler, he's almost always gonna have his values here I think. In fact him seeming solid would make me think it's even more likely for him to have a strong hand here. I would just fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

There you guys go. I say "solid," and then think of other "solid" players I know and figure they have the same thought processes...but most people aren't as good as me and Ilya [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-24-2005, 01:41 AM

Of course I would never do this in my wildest dreams.
Old 12-24-2005, 02:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Of course I would never do this in my wildest dreams.

[/ QUOTE ]

this post becomes funnier if you picture curtains (who i picture as pacman) saying this to the tune of "in your wildest dreams" by the moody blues (im not gay, my mom just had the oldies station on a lot growing up).

[img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]