Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 12-18-2005, 11:55 PM

Default A7soooooted. play along?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, Hero calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, UTG calls, Hero ...
Old 12-18-2005, 11:57 PM

Default Re: A7soooooted. play along?

folds.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:04 AM

calls and hopes for a great flop. too much money in that pot.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:09 AM

With 4 for sure and possiblly 6 opponents in this hand I think you <u>COULD</u> call. However you have to fold everything except a flush.

Even if you flop a 4-flush it's going to be expensive to chase...you're OOP, and a paired board could screw you all over the place.
If you were on the button, it would be easier to take a shot pre-flop because you'd know how many people are committed to the pot and if you'll have enough equity.

If you know you'll flop a flush, or quad-7s or a full-house, yes. Otherwise, no.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:00 AM

I thought it was extremely marginal, if good at all, to call the 3-bet. Given that UTG called, I figured the pot would get huge. I wasn't thinking about the cap.

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, Hero calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls.

Flop: (21.50 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG calls, Hero ...
Old 12-19-2005, 07:26 AM

I'd fold preflop, but since we're looking at a flop I'll give my thoughts on that. I think you should call here. Given the size of the pot, I doubt raising protects your hand here, and I think it'll rarely fold out any hands with live outs.

Raising will also inflate the pot and make it impossible to protect your hand on the turn, should a safe card fall. This is particularly true if BB 3-bets, which is very likely given that villain bet into a field of 7.

I think the turn decision will provide some interesting discussion.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:11 AM

A7s UTG+1 is limpable? According to SSHE this is a fold (unless of course the game is especially loose passive).

Lets assume worst case scenario here on the flop from where the action leaves off, assuming Hero calls. MP1 and 2 fold behind, MP3 2-bets, BB 3-bets, UTG FOLDS. At this point, there are 28.5 SB in the pot and its 2 more SB for us to call. However, lets assume at this point we know its getting capped on the flop by MP3 behind us. So our effective call to pot size amount is going to be calling 3 more SB for a pot size of 31.5 SB. So worst case scenario after we call the first bet on the flop, is that pot is laying us 10.5 to 1. If we assume 2 live outs for the 7's (could be dead to 66 or 22, but unlikely?) and one out for the nut BDFD, then we have 3 outs. Here I've assumed that the Ace is not enough of an out to be considered significant. We need 14.3 to 1 to call with only 3 outs... and this assumes even that we are not forced to call a capped turn. I don't believe implied odds here can make the odds here in our favor, as pot size is significantly large already...

So does this make it a fold on the flop?
Old 12-19-2005, 08:22 AM

The game was actually very loose passive (something like 38/5), and A7s is much better than A2s.

I think you're being too restrictive with the A outs. I don't see any use in discounting all of them, unless we are specifically against AA, which is unlikely. We have 2 outs to reverse dominate another A. Maybe you're assuming that every A is out there? I think 2 outs is the minimum for the A, making at least 5 outs total. I think it would be extremely incorrect to fold this flop ever.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:28 AM

Oh, oops, I read something wrong when I was posting. You're right, the Ace out is not negligible at all. My mistake.

Lets give it one out... thus we have 4 effective outs... which requires 10.5 to 1 to call... which is exactly what we have in our worst case scenario that I laid out. Thus the flop is a call.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:23 AM

Preflop: who cares really? I gamb0ol.
Flop: Call and pray.