Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 11-03-2005, 08:17 PM

Default Re: Floating in NL tournaments

One further thought.

The reason floating works is that there are a ton of people who think you are supposed to bet the flop every time you raise. Calling a raise in position with an implied odds hand is twice as valuable when your opponent is one of these people. When you have him covered by a lot and both of you are deepish, not only do you have implied odds and this second layer of (why not?) 'float equity', the type of opponent who is most susceptible to this play is also the type of opponent who gets scared shitless when you calls his raise what seems like every g-damn time.

Edit: Counting on both implied odds and on getting a fold on the turn or river isn't contradictory, since his flaw is putting chips in too often on the flop. It doesn't matter whether you hit or not, as long as you read hands well - he puts free chips out there, on average. And if he's predictable enough, you always have all the info you need by the time you commit significant chips.

(This is why you shouldn't bet the flop every time you raise unless you are playing morons)
Old 11-04-2005, 12:03 AM

Default Results

He checkraised all in fairly quickly and I of course had to call the 1500 more. He had 89s and I rivered a pair of Queens, which wasn't enough. I love his line in this hand and I take it fairly often with big hands vs. aggressive players.
Old 11-04-2005, 12:13 AM

Default Re: Results

What do you do if he bets 1/2 pot?
Old 11-04-2005, 01:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What do you do if he bets 1/2 pot?

[/ QUOTE ]

On this specific turn card, I think I have no other choice but to shove all in considering the preflop and flop plays that I've already made. What I'd do on a different turn card is hard to say, it would depend on what card it was.
Old 11-04-2005, 01:22 AM

Yeah. I do this play often too, but I usually give up if he bets the turn again, unless it feels really weak. Just wondering if you also give a turn CB more credit (cause I sure do).

But hey, don't go 2 barreling bluffs on me next time I see you in the 50 rebuy.
Old 11-04-2005, 01:34 AM

With this opponent's stack size in this hand, I think I may have to give it up on a turn blank if he kept the lead. However, if he was deeper and I was feeling frisky enough, I may raise just about any turn card. I guess I sorta picked a bad spot because the way I'm going about playing this hand doesn't leave me a whole lot of wiggle room on the turn. But that's ok, I'm learning.
Old 11-04-2005, 01:58 AM

I see you ignored the last part of my post...

touche.
Old 11-04-2005, 02:00 AM

I would never 2 barrel bluff you, it's not like you're some donkey calling the 832 rainbow flop w/ QJ [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].
Old 11-04-2005, 02:05 AM

I wish I wasnt.

The best part of this play though, is when they berate you after for calling the flop with Q high.

BTW this hand seems to be really similar to the Raymer- Kanter hand from the wsop.