Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Two Plus Two > Two Plus Two Internet Magazine

Old 12-03-2005, 08:24 AM

Default Re: Mason\'s Bunching Part II

The article is very interesting, but what I find surprising is the idea to fold 3-3 to a raise from the button. In my opinion the chance that the button tries to steal the blinds should outweigh any considerations about bunching easliy. In many cases you don't have to improve 3-3 to win and if the flop comes small, you can even think about check-raising. Depends on the player on the button of course.
Old 12-03-2005, 02:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The article is very interesting, but what I find surprising is the idea to fold 3-3 to a raise from the button. In my opinion the chance that the button tries to steal the blinds should outweigh any considerations about bunching easliy. In many cases you don't have to improve 3-3 to win and if the flop comes small, you can even think about check-raising. Depends on the player on the button of course.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's two points about it that are debatable. Does the small drop in odds to hit the set change the play from +EV to -EV?

And is there really such a bunching effect? When 7 players fold to the button Mason does not think this makes the remaining deck significantly richer in high cards than normal. But he does think it makes the remaining deck significantly sparser in small cards like 3's than normal. I would like to see results of simulations for Mason's hypothesis before changing my play based on the idea.

PairTheBoard
Old 12-04-2005, 06:02 AM

Mason, I wondered this myslef awhile ago, and everyone seemed to disagree, to put it lightly, with me. What are your thoughts. You are in Late position with 67s. UTG raises and UTG+1 re raises. You know for certain that UTG has AA or KK. 1 or 2 other player(s) take some time before they fold, as if they had a playable hand but it wasn't good enough to call this UTG and UTG+1 raise reraise. The blinds telegraph a fold, and UTG telegraphs a 4 bet cap. The 4 bet also means AA or KK. If he does not 4 bet the range of hand is widened slightly. If you play you are able to get it caped on every street with certainty regardless of the board cards, except the river. You are not to sure how many bets you can get on the river. But it's at least 2, likely 4, more than 4 is possible but you are not to sure how possible.

Do you gamble?
If you did gamble, what type of flops do you continue with to make this play profitable?
Are there any flop, turn combinations that you would call the flop but fold the turn.
Old 12-04-2005, 07:46 AM

Hi Doug:

No. There's discussion of this in HPFAP. Hands like suited connectors prefer more passive games because it will cost you too much to try to make the flush or straight.

best wishes,
mason