Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2005, 01:57 AM

Default Re: Legal Advice Accident/Ticket

[ QUOTE ]
I rear-ended somebody last week on

[/ QUOTE ]

I stopped right there, your at fault, have a nice day.

Trust me on this , its something I know way to much about
Old 12-28-2005, 01:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
... he specifically wrote on the ticket "ice covered windshield" which it was certainly not. He also recorded my car as being green when it's black FWIW.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm trying to imagine your defense ...

"Your honor, I had a dirty windshield, a crappy driver side wiper -- that combined with the worst sunglare ever, I could not see jack in front of me -- BUT -- there was no ice. Moving on, your honor, I would like to address the issue of the cars color ..."
Old 12-28-2005, 02:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
for having a dirty window and a bad wiper you should get a ticket. you caused an accident by your laziness to take care of your car. and reckless driving with bad vision. you caused inconvenience to someone and used up the police time. pay your fine and learn a lesson. and be glad you didnt hurt anyone.

[/ QUOTE ]

The funny thing is all the stuff he mentioned was an attempt to avoid people thinking he just drives badly, but it backfired when you pointed out the obvious.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
for having a dirty window and a bad wiper you should get a ticket. you caused an accident by your laziness to take care of your car. and reckless driving with bad vision. you caused inconvenience to someone and used up the police time. pay your fine and learn a lesson. and be glad you didnt hurt anyone.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear what yur saying even if you did start a domino effect of sheepish "yeah, I'm gonna be cool and bash the OP" posts, but I wouldn't have been trying to get to work if I was the posterchild of lazy scum. Neither the cop nor the guy I hit was half as upset as me, it sucks, it's my fault, and its a learning experience. I know when I was on the receiving end of such a minor fender bender I wasn't on my cell phone calling the cops before I could say 'fudge'.
Old 12-28-2005, 07:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear what yur saying even if you did start a domino effect of sheepish "yeah, I'm gonna be cool and bash the OP" posts, but I wouldn't have been trying to get to work if I was the posterchild of lazy scum. Neither the cop nor the guy I hit was half as upset as me, it sucks, it's my fault, and its a learning experience. I know when I was on the receiving end of such a minor fender bender I wasn't on my cell phone calling the cops before I could say 'fudge'.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not the greatest argument I've ever seen. Also, pay your fine.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:35 AM

When I was 18 I was in a car my girlfriend was driving. Long story short, she flipped the car on the highway going 65. She was driving, got thrown out the hatchback, and ended up breaking her back and "broke" her shoulder in 13 places - she was in traction for a month.

About a week later she got a ticket for speeding, and it may have been for reckless driving too.

Real nice cop.
Old 12-28-2005, 10:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
a judge will not dismiss the violation just b/c the cop wrote green instead of black

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a Mercury Cougar and got a speeding ticket about four years ago. The cop wrote "Toyota Celica" on the ticket. I fought it, went to court, and the cop gave his side of the story. Then I pulled out my registration card and bill of sale and said that he must've timed some other car then pulled me over. The judge then asked the cop if I was ever out of his sight and he said no. He then told the cop to consider offering me a lesser charge. He did, something like failing to obey posted signage or something like that. Something with just the base fine and no points, instead of the base + $$$ and the escalating points against my driving record. The judge then told me he couldn't advise me what to do.

I took the hint and took the deal. I got something like a $60 fine refund and no points, key to not affecting my insurance. After the judge entered the ruling, he asked me if I wanted to know how he would've ruled had I rejected the deal. Of course I was curious so I said yes. He told me that the word of an officer in good standing was sufficient evidence for him to believe without reasonable doubt that I was the driver that the officer clocked, and that he would've found me guilty of the speeding charge.
Old 12-28-2005, 10:30 AM

this all depends the argument is something to the effect of, how can I trust the office was paying attention and is following proicedure. If your expected to follow to the letter of the law, so is he which includes writing the ticket up correctly.

yes this answer is vague but I wind up fighting a ticket ever 2 or 3 months