Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2004, 01:28 PM

Default No way. I think I might quit poker

I have about a 4 thousand bankroll and today I decided to sit at the 1k max buyin home game.

4 handed and REALLY loose. I have lost about 100 on the 3-6 blinds. Haven't played a hand yet. All stacks have about 800, so I have all covered

Well I pick up A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in the SB. UTG opens for 100. Button Calls and I push, putting both on a low PP (one that they would fold) or weak aces.

BB folds 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] face up, an accomplishment for him. UTG calls like lightning and Button is motionless for a minute. He finally says "let's gamble" and calls with J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I am horrified that UTG called all in. Until I see A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I am delighted to see a

Flop: of A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and when the

Turn: is the A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] I was overjoyed. But that o so terrible

River: was the 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. to make matters worse, the man who won, a multi-millionaire architect, celebrated for 40 minutes.

Worst. Day. Ever.
Old 03-21-2004, 02:10 PM

Default Re: No way. I think I might quit poker

sounds like a great game. in great games, you can lose a lot of money. with only a 4k roll, if I wanted to play in a 1k max buyin game I would buyin for 500 and hope to double up quickly, especially when you have a significant edge preflop (as you clearly did). that way one bad beat doesn't force you to quit the game, as it probably did here.

--turnipmonster
Old 03-21-2004, 02:15 PM

Laugh, shrug it off and go out for beers.
Old 03-21-2004, 03:10 PM

Hey trh,

Turnipmonster is right. I play in a similar game (i.e. GREAT game, but stakes far too large for my bankroll), and I generally buy-in for a short stack, play tight, and try to double up. If you want to continue playing in that game (which I do recommend if you're the type to take shots at bigger games before you have the "proper" roll), buy-in for 500. That still gives you plenty of room to manuever with those blind sizes...

Regarding the hand, it doesn't seem like a reason to quit poker; it seems to me like a reason to get back into that game as soon as you can...

As a final sidenote, how would people in the game react to a request to run it out twice on all-ins? Wouldn't affect your EV, but it sure would cut down on your variance.

ML4L
Old 03-21-2004, 03:15 PM

With only a 4k bank roll, I wouldn't even consider those stakes, not for a second. I play $100 buy in NL on Party, and I think my 4k bankroll is perfect for the stakes I'm playing. I offten win or lose around 1k in a day. My standard deviation, most I can win or lose in an hour, is about $500. To play in a $1000 buy in game, I would have to have a bank of atleast 20K, but 40k if it was a regular game.

AeonBlues
Old 03-21-2004, 03:35 PM

I'm hearing this 'run it twice' a lot and have no idea what it means in full, care to explain?

I'd play in this game with $4k untill my last $1k then i'd stay away from this game while i build back up again. This game is too good to miss.
Old 03-21-2004, 03:53 PM

Hey Jay,

Running it twice means splitting the pot in half and then dealing out two boards, each one for half the pot. This is usually done when someone is way behind, meaning that the underdog will get some money back more often and the favorite will get bad beated out of the entire pot less often. But, each player's EV obviously doesn't change...

ML4L
Old 03-21-2004, 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd play in this game with $4k untill my last $1k then i'd stay away from this game while i build back up again. This game is too good to miss.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd play in this game if I was down to my case thousand. I mean, [censored], my girls still got a job.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm hearing this 'run it twice' a lot and have no idea what it means in full, care to explain?

[/ QUOTE ]

In certain live big bet games, when all the players are all in they will make an agreement to run the cards 2, 3, or sometimes more times. The cards are then turned face up and the dealer will deal out the requisite cards however many times requested. The players then divide the pot up based on who won what number of times. This is usually done on just the turn or river cards, but I have seen it done when all in preflop as well.

Apparently in California live games they leave the boardcards out to make certain there are no dealer mistakes. In the homegames I have done this in we shove the sub-pots between deals and reintroduce the appropriate boardcards into the stub. This, I think is more equitable for all players.

Old 03-21-2004, 07:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My standard deviation, most I can win or lose in an hour, is about $500.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can easily lose or win more than your standard deviation in an hour.

Your win rate is the average amount that you have won or lost for each hour that you have played (WR). The standard deviation (S) in your win rate is a statistic that provides some information about the volatility of your win rate.

If your results are normally distributed, you can expect about 15% of your hours played to have a net profit or loss of (WR-S) or more. About 2% of your hours played will have a profit of loss of (WR-2S) or more. Unless your win rate is gigantic in relation to your standard deviation (which would be extremely unusual), you should expect to lose your standard deviation or more at least once every 100 hours or so.

Not to be a complete nit (ok, to be a complete nit... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]), but this is gambling. The real lower bound on your losses for an hour is (# of hands that Party can deal you in an hour) * $100 + any additional money over the buyin you had on the table in the first hand. Is it astronomically unlikely? Yes. Is it impossible? No.

scrub