Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2004, 04:55 PM

Default Am I Pro life or Pro Choice

I'm really wondering where I come down on this side of the issue. Would really like to hear the views of the religious folks on this issue.

I think I am pro life. I do not believe in abortion, I think it is murder. I think many people have the view that it is another form of birth control.

I think that if 2 consenting people have sex, and a pregnancy occurs than they should be responsible for bringing that life into the world. There are many families that would happily adopt the child. Yes, I know the adoption process needs to be streamlined as well...but thats a whole different thread.

The issue gets muddy when rape/incest is involved. Now one party was not consenting and this has been forced upon them.

The issue is very black and white when I think in terms of myself and my family. Even under the horrible circumstance of rape, we would have the child and put it up for adoption. But could I force someone else to do the same? I would certainly pray for the person, and encourage them to choose as I would. I also believe that they would be commiting murder if they did choose to have an abortion.

Having said that, I cannot bring myself to judge that person nor take away their right to choose to undo something that was forced on them in the first place. Does this make me Pro Life or Choice? Thanks
Old 11-04-2004, 04:59 PM

Default Re: Am I Pro life or Pro Choice

you are pro-choice, just not pro-abortion. same as GWB, Reagan, et. al.

cheers!
Old 11-04-2004, 05:10 PM

I feel basically the same way you do, and I consider myself pro-life. I think abortion should only be legal in the cases of rape, incest, or if the mothers life is endangered by the pregnancy. I believe pro-choice people believe that there should be no restrictions on when an abortion is legal and pro-life people would prefer certain restrictions. I think only very radical pro-life people believe that abortions should be illegal under all conditions for all people.
Old 11-04-2004, 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you are pro-choice, just not pro-abortion. same as GWB, Reagan, et. al.

cheers!

[/ QUOTE ]

As am I.
Old 11-04-2004, 06:01 PM

I think you need to reexamine whether you really believe it is murder. If you really do, then exceptions for rape/incest don't make any sense at all. If you believe it is a balance of competing interests -- the health/well-being/freedom of the mother on one hand and the potential for life on the other, you probably are in the same boat as the vast majority of Americans.
Old 11-04-2004, 06:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does this make me Pro Life or Choice? Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

You are pro-confused.
Old 11-04-2004, 06:38 PM

Contrary to what the politicians would have us belive, there are very few black and white issues in the world.
Old 11-04-2004, 09:28 PM

I'm pro-choice even though I'd feel guilty about aborting a child conceived consentually. The government cannot force victims of rape or incest to have children, nor should it force women to endure a pregnancy that they cannot afford, as long as the abortion takes place within the first trimester. There are too many unwanted children as it is.
Old 11-04-2004, 09:33 PM

Sadly there are far to many black and white issues out there

"There are many families that would happily adopt the child."

This simply isn't the case for minorities in America, there are thoasands of black children who go unadopted every year, and a nearly equal number of white parents on waiting lists to adopt white children.
Old 11-04-2004, 09:42 PM

I feel fine about aborting babies. the world is over populated as it is.