Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2004, 09:46 AM

Default When has it become bad to be a Christian?

Seriously, and don't say its when you mix religion with politics. It's been this way for over 200 years. From the times of Jefferson, Through lincoln and up to FDR. So why are you harping on George Bush for his belief's when they were shared by some of the greatest Presidents (Take a look at Mt. Rushmore).

Well, also know just as we can't be sure 100% God exists-- You can't be 100% God doesn't exist. Thats why I don't force my belief's on others, and don't agree with other Christians who do this. I also don't agree with atheists who have to make 35 posts in a politics forum on the existance of God, I've seen threads with thousand of great replies by people of high intelligence (It was a lesson in futility). However, know that YOU are the minority... So for the next 4 years this is how the country will be run. Quit bitching.
Old 11-04-2004, 09:53 AM

Default Re: When has it become bad to be a Christian?

I can see how abortion especially and stem cell research to a lesser extent can be considered morally reprehensible.

My main problem with Christians is the organized, deliberate discrimination of a narrow group of people. Even more sickening is their gloating after they have accomplished this by calling it a "moral decision" and claiming that country is "moving forward" with "something to build on."
Old 11-04-2004, 10:04 AM

Victor, You have to understand we humans are flawed. Thats a common fact of life.

People will always discriminate on the minority, thats a fact of life-- We've been doing it for thousands of yeras.
Just like Catholics take a 2000 page book and then produce a 5000 page Catechism from it. I don't beleive everything the Catechism says such as, "Masturbation is a moral sin."

Thats their belief's, not mine. You'd be surprised how many Christians don't think homosexuals are bad people. I think they are great people with the same rights as you or I. Now the thing is, I voted for the amendment banning gay marriage. There is nothing wrong with CU's and its a whole 'nother argument altogether. Now this may look like discrimination, but a further look shows you that in fact they do have the same rights. They have the same right to get married with a person of the opposite sex, just as I have the same right to get a CU with someone on the same sex.

Also big argument against gay marriage, is we will have to allow bigots and other abominations of marriage next. Because we can't say yes to one group and no to the others, at which point are we intruding on someones rights, and not trampling our own?
Old 11-04-2004, 10:22 AM

Thats their belief's, not mine. You'd be surprised how many Christians don't think homosexuals are bad people

How many homosexuals think Christians are bad people?

Lori
Old 11-04-2004, 10:24 AM

I am not in a position to make that estimate, I don't think anyone here is. But for the sake of estimate's i will give you a number. That number is 3,284,582.

Seriously, If i was a homosexual I wouldn't care as long as I had the CU system. You really think 100% of the people who voted for it were Christian and 100% who voted against it were Atheist? Think again.

Just like a foreigner citizen doesn't have the right to become a President, are we descriminating against him? Are we discriminating against all foreign citizens? Should Arnold Schwaz (I'm not even gonna try to spell his last name) be hosting rallies claiming we are discriminating against people like him? No....
Theres a stronger case for the banning of gay marriage than there is one for it.

It's not even like i pay attention to the opinions of anyone at this board, Hell yall think drugs should be legalized. Anyone who has that opinion doesn't have the foresight to attempt to change the political future.
Old 11-04-2004, 10:37 AM

Jefferson wasn't a Christian.
Old 11-04-2004, 11:08 AM

Sure hes not... He just said these things for no reason.

“The doctrines of Jesus are simple, and tend to all the happiness of man.”

“Of all the systems of morality, ancient or modern which have come under my observation, none appears to me so pure as that of Jesus.”

"I am a real Christian, that is to say, a disciple of the doctrines of Jesus." [Letter to Benjamin Rush April 21, 1803]

“God who gave us life gave us liberty. And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are a gift from God? That they are not to be violated but with His wrath? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just, and that His justice cannot sleep forever.” [Notes on the State of Virginia, 1781]

“It [the Bible] is a document in proof that I am a real Christian, that is to say, a disciple of the doctrines of Jesus."
[Jan 9, 1816 Letter to Charles Thomson]

-Thomas Jefferson.
Old 11-04-2004, 11:10 AM

I dont really understand the forigner rule, I think people have said for years that he would be president at some point if not for the fact he is forign. Surley it goes against the consitution of all US citizens being equal (I dont know if its written but surely its inferred) and having the same rights surely that should equal political as well.

I mean if this had been strictly enforced how come there has never been a Red Indian President.

Surely if theyt are a good candidate, have been a proven good US citizen and have all the right credentials they should be allowed to run for president.

What are the arguments against it?
Old 11-04-2004, 11:12 AM

No I was using it as example. You could say pro-gay marriage people are having their rights trampled, but you would also have to say people like foreigners and such are also having their rights trampled. Where do you draw the line?
Old 11-04-2004, 11:14 AM

The Constitution requires only a "natural born" citizen. Sorry to anyone born of a c-section [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]