Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2004, 05:50 PM

Default I allways limp UTG

I think that I have developed a poker psychosis. You see a big part of my game is psychologically conditioned. You see it’s kind of a pavlonian thing. I got punished so many times raising under the gun with hands as strong as AKs, that I developed a hard rule to never raise UTG with less than QQ. Well, as unobservant as players are, I still got nervous about good players being able to mark my hand when ever I raise UTG. So, now I just limp with any starter that I figure is worth playing UTG.

I’m really curious though, on what 2+2ers do to counter balance raising UTG, and post flop play when you limp UTG with big starters.

AeonBlues
Old 03-23-2004, 05:57 PM

Default Re: I allways limp UTG

[ QUOTE ]

I’m really curious though, on what 2+2ers do to counter balance raising UTG, and post flop play when you limp UTG with big starters.

AeonBlues

[/ QUOTE ]

I balance it by raising pre-flop. Seriously, limping under the gun with AK and JJ as a regular strategy is ridiculous.

SpaceAce
Old 03-23-2004, 06:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I balance it by raising pre-flop. Seriously, limping under the gun with AK and JJ as a regular strategy is ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, please explain why.

AeonBlues
Old 03-23-2004, 06:09 PM

Default I just want to add....

Monitering with Pokertracker, when I raised more more more offten with hands like oh, AQs and AKo, almost never with JJ, I had a net loss for my UTG play. When I tightend up my UTG raises, I became positive when playing UTG.

AeonBlues
Old 03-23-2004, 06:09 PM

Seems to me if you are having problems with raising hands UTG, you are either raising with too many hands, not handling a reraise correctly, getting married to your hand post-flop and/or just playing post-flop poorly.

Occasionally limping UTG with big hands is fine but doing it always is criminal.

Ken Poklitar
Old 03-23-2004, 06:12 PM

Yah, but, I get to come over the top so offten, and get called for $25 bets, it's redicoulous.

AeonBlues
Old 03-23-2004, 06:38 PM

I dont see how this is maximizing your profit with big hands. Observant players will pick up on this just as quickly as raising only those premium hands. Do you always re-raise if there is a raise behind you? Non-observant players will pay you off anyway, might as well tie them to a pot early.

I look at strategies like this in how easy they are to counter. Observant players will see your limp UTG as a PP, AK or AQ. I would just play extremly passive againt you post-flop with position. Because the pot is small your flop bet will be smaller, and are you going to keep pushing on the turn with AK,AQ,and PP's w/overcards on board when unimproved? Just because I cant put you on AA,KK,QQ because you didnt raise pre-flop doesn't mean that information wont come out eventually in the hand, and you will have no idea where you stand in relation to my holding.

This strategy might be a goldmine on PP where idiots abound, I just think it will get you killed by observant players. So I say raise it up, and of course throw in the occasional limp/re-raise for flavor.
Old 03-23-2004, 06:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This strategy might be a goldmine on PP where idiots abound, I just think it will get you killed by observant players. So I say raise it up, and of course throw in the occasional limp/re-raise for flavor.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you really hit the nail on the head so to speak. The key is to try to randomize your play. If I sit at a Party table long enough I can tell what other people are playing. My friends think I'm crazy to play online but then they watch me play a couple hands and they realize that you really can read other plays. A lot of players online especially are so predictable I think because they are playing a lot of tables and don't have time to randomize.
Old 03-23-2004, 07:06 PM

c'mon, you have to raise most of the time in this situation. You should not make changes to your game based on some bad beats you have taken from the past. This is all in your head.
If someone comes over the top of you than you need to evaluate the individual and adjust. Your post flop play must be killing you. If you limp in all the time utg you are nothing but weak tight. Be agressive and it will pay off in the long run.
I used to play the same way, but quickly realized the advantages of raising preflop. You will get run over by the better players who will take advantage of your tight play. They can read you like a book.
Old 03-23-2004, 07:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
c'mon, you have to raise most of the time in this situation. You should not make changes to your game based on some bad beats you have taken from the past. This is all in your head.
If someone comes over the top of you than you need to evaluate the individual and adjust. Your post flop play must be killing you. If you limp in all the time utg you are nothing but weak tight. Be agressive and it will pay off in the long run.
I used to play the same way, but quickly realized the advantages of raising preflop. You will get run over by the better players who will take advantage of your tight play. They can read you like a book.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dont know if this was directed at me or not?

I have read some of Aeon's post's and played with him maybe once or twice. He plays a very solid game, my comments were only to give him something to think about and share how I generally look at hard rules like this. If they came off in any other way it was unintentional.