Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Which do you choose?
Tickets 21 9.77%
Sex 194 90.23%
Voters: 215. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-20-2005, 10:18 PM

Default Re: 78s. How crazy to get PF?

I voted to raise #1 & reraise #2. My reasoning:

You're on the button in both hands, which really rocks. You may or may not have an equity advantage, although against 9 basically random hands (or 8 randoms + 1 almost random in Hand 2), you probably do have greater than 10% pot equity preflop. And with a suited connector, you want a pot big enough for you to correctly chase your draws postflop.

As far as facing the field with 2 more cold in Hand 2, so what? The read is that people go too far with their hands and play too many, so it's very doubtful that anyone is going to fold for 2 bets after putting 2 in preflop. As far as making it correct for someone to chase a draw against your made hand (i.e., the JsTc example), first of all these players will chase it anyway, and second of all, with 10 people seeing the flop for 2 bets each, it's probably going to be correct for them to chase anyway.

That's my thinking, anyway...I may be wrong.
Old 08-21-2005, 02:30 PM

Default Re: 78s. How crazy to get PF?

I will raise both for the flop equity edge and the long-term image.

Look up your chances to win on twodimes or anywhere else against 10 random hands...It's much better than one in ten. Even setting some good hands with it, like AQ or QJs, and 87s still holds up quite well. It's a problem when you run into a higher flush draw, but equity is still good.

In addition to the small pot equity edge, I have the huge edge of position. Even at a 2/4, it will play a factor.

Moreover, with this many players, there is a good chance of multiple decent second best holdings. Thus, a nut straight makes big dollars when two pairs, sets, and TPTK pays off. Undoubtedly some will due to the large pot size and inability to put me on my raised 87s.

I also like the long term image change. Semi-observant players will see that I raised with an 87s and not notice the specific table conditions I did it in. They will mentally note me as a gambler and pay me off an extra big bet or two later.

Conclusion, I'm pleased as punch to raise both times.

BTW: I do execute this same move for as little as 6 players in the pot.