Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2004, 08:40 PM

Default Re: When has it become bad to be a Christian?

Wow, there is a huge gulf between the two sides of this argument. I think my main disagreement with the Groups who want an amendment is this-
Why do you get to define marrige? Would it be right for me to define marrige for you? Obviously not, so why do you get to define it for me? Statements like this
"But government has no justification in changing the basic, most accepted definition of marriage."
This is your opinion, not fact. Polygamy is just as old as monogomy, and many cultures throughout our history have celebrated it as much as monogomy is today. However this isn't (well it shouldn't be) an argument over which is better, it is about our government's role in our lives. The government has no buisness defining such private things as marrige, however, once they do so they must do so fairly and equally (according to our constitution). Why should marrige be an exception?
Old 11-05-2004, 01:12 AM

Let me just drudge this up (had to play Thursday night poker - ended up a slight winner, go me!) for one last comment.

I still have yet to see one logical explanation from the anti-gay-marriage people as to why gay marriage should be banned. "Because that's the way it's always been" is not a logical explanation. Women couldn't vote until well into the middle of the 20th century. Should we have changed that left things they way they've always been? That certainly had more of an impact that two guys you will never meet getting married in a town you will never visit.

The long and the short of it is - there's been no logical explanation given because one doesn't exist. It is simple bigotry. Here's the thing - I'm guessing that in many cases it's not even malicious. It's just weird and different, and not something most of these people have had any experience with. Not that there aren't malicious people out there, I just think (or at least hope) they're not the majority.

-Nate
Old 11-05-2004, 01:39 AM

Ok Ok ...... gays can get married ...... as long as it is with someone of the opposite sex. And straights can have Civil Unions as long as it is with someone of the same sex. Equality ..... I believe in Equality.
Old 11-05-2004, 01:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok Ok ...... gays can get married ...... as long as it is with someone of the opposite sex. And straights can have Civil Unions as long as it is with someone of the same sex. Equality ..... I believe in Equality.

[/ QUOTE ]

How about this - straights can have civil unions, and gays can have marriages? That's equality, right?

-Nate
Old 11-05-2004, 01:55 AM

No .... marriage is a church institution. Instituted by God. His first in fact. Gays are in rebellion with God .... why do they want marriage? I see no reason to sanctify same sex relationships .... I can see no good that it brings and a lot of damage it will do.
Old 11-05-2004, 02:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow, there is a huge gulf between the two sides of this argument. I think my main disagreement with the Groups who want an amendment is this-
Why do you get to define marrige? Would it be right for me to define marrige for you? Obviously not, so why do you get to define it for me? Statements like this
"But government has no justification in changing the basic, most accepted definition of marriage."
This is your opinion, not fact. Polygamy is just as old as monogomy, and many cultures throughout our history have celebrated it as much as monogomy is today. However this isn't (well it shouldn't be) an argument over which is better, it is about our government's role in our lives. The government has no buisness defining such private things as marrige, however, once they do so they must do so fairly and equally (according to our constitution). Why should marrige be an exception?

[/ QUOTE ]

Our society considers the ideal family to consist of a father, a mother, and children. Marriage is an institution designed to promote that ideal family structure.

What is happening in America today is the Gay community is trying to use marriage to promote a family structure that the rest of society feels is less than ideal. The rest of society is essentially saying that they will tolerate a gay family structure, but they will not allow the institution of marriage to be changed to promote it.

Id like to add that I think the gay community is wrong to single out christians. Its a much larger cross section of America that is opposed to changing marriage.

Stu
Old 11-05-2004, 03:59 AM

Default Re: Bush isnt a Christian, those arent his beliefs...

He just pretends becasue its the fastest way to get the cattle caged up.

Very few intelligent people are willing to label themselves christian, let alone follow the dogma.
Old 11-05-2004, 04:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Victor, You have to understand we humans are flawed. Thats a common fact of life.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bull-[censored]' [censored]. Why must I understand that? It isn't true.
Old 11-05-2004, 05:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont think the law gives you any rights or responsibilities vis a vis marriage.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is false. Think tax credits.
Old 11-05-2004, 06:02 AM

I'm not sure if you're serious or not but wouldn't it be better for your side the government to only have "civil unions" and not grant marriage licenses?

The civil union would be given to groups of people (for most this would be groups of two) that have a relationship and wish for that to be officially recognised. They then can, if they wish, go to the religious facility of their choice to get "married." This marriage ceremony would be completely removed from the government and the government wouldn't give a damn whatsoever how it happened or whether or not it did.

The argument against gay marriage is that marriage is an institution, or traditionally man with woman, or not christian is purely a semantic one. So why don't we just eliminate the word "marriage" from any and all government involvement. Leave that to religions or other similar groups. Have the government give out X certificates where X is the word that replaces marriage but basically means the same thing in the "We're planning on being together for the rest of our lives - at least until something better comes along" sense.

Curious what the people opposed to gay marriage (Vulturesrow and others) think of this.