Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2004, 10:57 AM

Default Re: George Bush - Religious Fanatic?

[ QUOTE ]
Of course its the states responsiblity to define them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course that isn't George Bush's position (at least with respect to gay marriage)
Old 11-04-2004, 11:05 AM

I have no problem with Bush's policies being based on his personal beliefs. It is silly to believe that they could/would/should be based otherwise. However, the public policies should have solid justification beyond the religious tenor. In my opinion, Bush does a very poor job of explaining why people who disagree with his religious beliefs should still agree with his policies (not a very "uniting" quality.) His rhetoric is so tied with his religious beliefs that his policies often appear illogical/irrational when someone who focuses less of his public time on his faith would be able to make a better case for support. Because so much of his rhetoric has religious overtones, his administration's "you're either with us or with the terrorists" ideas/language (again, not a very uniting way of looking at the world) carry some very scary religious overtones that can very easily inflame those of other religious beliefs who might otherwise support his policies.
Old 11-04-2004, 11:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Funny too how they use "cowboy" as an insult. Cowbows were brave and hardy men.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, a very common term coming from lazy leftist Europeans commentators. But these people are simply anti-american at heart. There are others of us who love the US and what it stands for (I'm tempted to say "used to stand for") who simply don't like the fact that his policies are religiously based. Separate politics and religion. Don't become like the enemy you are fighting.
Old 11-04-2004, 11:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1 - stem cell research. Why would someone put a ban to scientific research that improves life for many people. I can never except when ideology is more important than suffering.

[/ QUOTE ]

there is no ban on stem cell research, and GWB does not support such a ban.

[ QUOTE ]
2 - Abortion ban. Why would you dictate that a woman who has been raped should have the child? Again: So much suffering.

[/ QUOTE ]

GWB is opposed to abortion, except when in cases of rape and incest.

[ QUOTE ]
3 - Gay questions. Who is he to say what is right and what is wrong? Why would he care if they marry?

[/ QUOTE ]

this is as much an economic stand as a moral stand.

cheers!
Old 11-04-2004, 11:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Of course that isn't George Bush's position (at least with respect to gay marriage)

[/ QUOTE ]

this is where GWB is wrong. Federal power over states is rarely a good thing.

my guess is that he took this position of a Constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage as purely a political move to fire up the religious conservatives. no different than John Kerry claiming to be pro choice, when he clearly is not.

the simple fact is that these men have a profession that sometimes requires them to take political stands that run contrary to their personal beliefs.

cheers!
Old 11-04-2004, 11:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It might have economic impact, but the stand is not an economic one, don't kid yourself.
Old 11-04-2004, 11:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So what is a good operative definition of a religious fanatic? I think it indicates an extremelist of some sort who believes in imposing their religious beliefs on all, who expects people to adhere to the precepts of their religion, use that religions precepts to guide their actions, and place those precepts above any law created by man. A clumsy definition perhaps (feel free to clear the definition up) but if that's the operative definition why do you believe George Bush is a religious fanatic?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that defnition applies to Bush pretty well.

The two most important reasons why I consider him a fanatic:

1) He seems to really believe that God has sent him on a mission to lead America and remake the world in a way pleasing to Him.

2) I think faith plays a very big role in his decision-making process. He has basically admitted as much, talking about how he doesn't need to be bothered with heaps of facts when he has his instincts to guide him.

By the way, I don't think position on gay marriage is a good proxy for religious fanaticism at all. Many people are against it who are not that religious but have been trained by our society and culture to be very uncomfortable aat the notion.
Old 11-04-2004, 11:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Gay questions. Who is he to say what is right and what is wrong? Why would he care if they marry?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How the %&#! is this an economic stand?! It is discrimination, pure and simple. How would a gay couple's marriage do any harm to *anyone*, economic or otherwise? The purpose of laws is to prevent harm and promote the greater good. A ban on gay marriage does neither, and actually does harm to 10% of the population.

If the government can ban gay marriage, they can ban Jewish marriages, black marriages... What gives George Bush or anyone else the right to say "Your love is not worthy of official recognition by the law"?

As for whether Bush is a religious fanatic... I think it's funny that the description the original poster stated is perfectly fit by Bush. Not that I think Bush actually is a fanatic... but I do think he tries to push his beliefs on the American people... and as an Atheist with two very close gay relatives, I really resent that.

-Nate
Old 11-04-2004, 12:07 PM

I find it ironic that an atheist would get bent out of shape by a Christian promoting his beliefs in the political arena while at the same time demanding that government should be godless [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-04-2004, 12:10 PM

There is an economic aspect to heterosexual marriages is there not? I'm not saying that there isn't a moral aspect to Gay Marriage but there is an economic aspect to them as well.