Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2005, 11:23 PM

Default Re: Johnny Chan story

I don't understand all the knob slobbing. These laydowns aren't that tough when you can see the guy.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand all the knob slobbing. These laydowns aren't that tough when you can see the guy's hand .

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 07-06-2005, 11:59 PM

Im just surprised Chan (the lucky bastard) got KK then QQ within a small time frame. Sheesh, no wonder he's so good.
Old 07-07-2005, 12:03 AM

He does have one huge advantage. He is Johnny Chan and knows that other players, especially guys who look like nervous newbies know who he is and fear him. So when he makes a solid raise and another guy re-raises him big and then appears to be fairly confident, Chan has an easier time of figuring the guy for AA than we would since we could assume a fair amount of the time that the opponent is making a move on us. Does that make sense?

One more point: Don't assume the first guy had AA if he didn't show it. My rule in poker is that if a guy tells you what he has without showing it just ignore what he said because it means absolutely nothing. I can tell you that 100% of the time if a guy lays down KK (or some other hand that is better than mine) and I'm asked what I had I will always say that it was a good laydown -- unless of course I decide to show the inferior hand. You can argue that the guy seemed sincere, etc., etc., but most poker players will lie about their hands.
Old 07-07-2005, 12:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand all the knob slobbing. These laydowns aren't that tough when you can see the guy's hand .

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

lame.
Old 07-07-2005, 12:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]

lame.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe so, but then again, so was the source material. You lay down KK PF how often? I guess that's how you make it to 126th in the 2004 WSOP.
Old 07-07-2005, 12:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

lame.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe so, but then again, so was the source material. You lay down KK PF how often? I guess that's how you make it to 126th in the 2004 WSOP.

[/ QUOTE ]

it was all a joke. they are amazing laydowns. lighten up dude!
Old 07-07-2005, 12:46 AM

JOHNNY chan is the devil./
Old 07-07-2005, 01:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree..

But there are people on here who regardless of read, always play out certain hands in certain situations and say, "That's Poker!"

If somebody suggests to lay it down they become unhinged!

I consider my reading skills above average for the low limits I am playing.. i duno what it is.. but from experience, I have great feel about the game and an idea of what people are holding.. If I suggest that I would fold TPTK is certain situations, I'm labeled an idiot, troll, moron, etc.. by the 2+2 "Elite".

Johnny Chan does it, "Oh my god, It's God!". No doubt, Chan would wipe the floor with me and anybody on here, but for people to suggest that it's impossible to have good reading skills at even low limit games, they are full of $hit!

"It's mechanical.. If you don't play standard, you're -Ev!"..blah, blah, blah..

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't know who has said that to you or what makes you so bitter. It is mechanical when deciding what the proper move is based on a hand range. It's getting to that hand range based on reads (which, incidentally, don't translate well in a post) that distinguishes good players from bad. That's why (especially in live tourneys) I give the benefit of the doubt to players who I know to be competant and claim that they have a read. (and not a 20-20 hindsight read)
Old 07-07-2005, 01:10 AM

thx for the story and info. I'm going to use this info and run the f#$% over Johnny and Phil at the WSOP ME