Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2005, 11:53 AM

Default 5/10 7/8b - Did I butcher this?

Figured I'd play a fun game for a change. I just reread Zee's book, but I am a bit unsure on every street here.

7 Card Stud High-Low ($5/$10), Ante $0.50, Bring-In $2 (converter)

3rd Street - (0.70 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 2: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 3: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 4: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds
Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___completes___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (7.10 SB)

Seat 2: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 3: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls

5th Street - (5.05 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 3: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks
Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks

6th Street - (5.05 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises
Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets___calls

River - (11.05 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xx___checks___folds
Seat 3: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xx___bets
Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___calls

Total pot: (13.05 BB)
Old 10-23-2005, 12:07 PM

Default Re: 5/10 7/8b - Did I butcher this?

I would probably just limp on third street. You're really not particularly strong in either direction.

Fourth is a fold. The Jack is a terrible card. You should be well behind in both directions, and the pot is small. Calling in spots like this can lead to compounding mistakes later in the hand.

Checking on fifth was fine. I would do so with the intention of folding.

I think I check sixth as well. The guy with the Ace in the door continued to lead when he caught the Nine on fourth, so that looks like a big pair, probably bigger than Jacks. He may have gotten skeered and checked on fourth after it looked like the low got there. I'm guessing you have the best low draw, but you only have one card to catch. I would check and hope.

The pot is plenty big enough that you have to pay off on the end, but I wouldn't like it.
Old 10-23-2005, 02:11 PM

I limp 3rd, although I raise this somewhat often (depending on situation like how many low card callers etc.) this if the Ace is my upcard and I figure I have some folding equity, may be a mistake though.

I fold fourth. 1 SB here often costs you a few BBs on later streets and you're probably behind in both directions and the pot isn't huge. This is something I've done many times, have to beat it into my head to kick the habit.

And yea, TD and this have become my favorite games, a great change of pace from HE. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-23-2005, 06:29 PM

So limping on third seems to be the move. The table was on the loose side, people liked to limp a lot but would muck trash they would have limped with to a completion. I don't know that that is an argument for raising or just limping.

Fourth street was my biggest question. I was unsure if the pot was big enough to take a card off, and apparently the answer is it is not here.

I think I would have check folded 6th if spades were more live, (i.e. I didn't kill 4 of them, not I had more spade outs). I fired hoping everyone would just go away, and I wasn't worried about the three spades on seat threes board until he raised. That was definitely an aw [censored] moment. I thought flush was definitely possible, but 5 spades were dead.

I definitely did not feel happy about paying off on the river.

Fortunately, as novice as I am at this game, the field seemed considerably worse, and I had a fun time (well, except for all the folding on third).
Old 10-23-2005, 07:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fourth street was my biggest question. I was unsure if the pot was big enough to take a card off, and apparently the answer is it is not here.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a mistake that almost every beginner makes when they first start playing. Unless it was really rammed and jammed on 3rd you should get in the habit of almost always folding on 4th when you brick and others do not.