Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2005, 03:13 PM

Default Turn Bet Warranted?

Playing 20-40 at Taj while waiting for another game. I have A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in the BB. Game is absolutely nuts, very loose. 6 people limp, SB limps, I decide to raise and build a big pot. Just what I felt like doing pretty much, checking fine also. So anyway, 8 players to the flop, $320 pot. Flop comes Q-7-4 with one spade. SB checks, I check, EVERYONE CHECKS. Turn is the 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] giving me the nut flush draw and the gutshot. Is this a bet when you know you can't possibly take the pot down but have tons of outs if called. Or would you prefer to check? The rest of the hand is interesting too, but I'll save that for later.

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 10-11-2005, 03:25 PM

Default Re: Turn Bet Warranted?

nice post jeff...glad to see you so active as of late.

i usually bet the turn here for a few reasons:

1) i may have the best hand and am "protecting"
2) i may (extremely rarely) pick up the pot
3) i have many many outs and if its really loose and passive i may be betting for draw value.
4) i may get a free showdown.

now for checking

1) its very likely you dont have the best hand and may face a raise
2) it may be checked around againa dn you get a free "draw"
3) you dont waste bets

but back to betting, you do end up increasing their claling frequencies on the end in the bigger pot and get more when you hit.

personally, i like a bet.

also, i like a bet b/c it uses your cards to randomize your play despite # of people in the pot. what i mean is that if people are watching, you'll be picking up that pot frequently w/ few people in it and they'll see this hand at showdown and be confused...

Barron
Old 10-11-2005, 03:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

also, i like a bet b/c it uses your cards to randomize your play despite # of people in the pot. what i mean is that if people are watching, you'll be picking up that pot frequently w/ few people in it and they'll see this hand at showdown and be confused...

Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

do you simply mean that this is good advertising?
Old 10-11-2005, 03:42 PM

I like a bet unless one of the EP players is very aggro and likely to raise with a wide range of hands.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:16 PM

I like a bet here, You wouldn't mind narrowing down the field a little and seeing if maybe you can free up some of your A outs.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:21 PM

Stay aggressive, bet. Your hand looks like QQ at this point. If the game is really loose, your bet doesn't lose much and may win you the pot by folding out A9, AT, AJ, maybe even AK in a live game.

my 2 cents.
-Eric
Old 10-11-2005, 09:25 PM

Default RESULTS

I decided to bet the turn. One MP called, then the next player raised. Now, two people coldcalled! Comes back to me, I call and now the first caller reraises. Raiser calls, everyone calls. River is a spade that doesn't pair the board and we have a happy ending after I bet and get two callers.

Jeff
Old 10-11-2005, 09:38 PM

Default Re: RESULTS

Jeff, any reason you didn't think you could get a check raise in after all of that action?
Old 10-11-2005, 09:42 PM

It was close, but I took a few things into account. People may be dumb but they're not blind. When that many people put in 3-bets on the turn, someone is drawing to spades (probably lock spades). I just didn't want to risk it being checked through and also figured to get two or three calls if I bet (w/ an outside chance of getting three bets in). Also if I check, there is a bet and say one caller and I raise, I'm only likely to get paid in one spot. So it's 120 in that case also w/ the added risk of it possibly being checked and no possibility of 3-betting the nuts. I guess you had to be there, but I thought I figured to make more money betting. Just my take at the table and against these opponents.

Jeff
Old 10-11-2005, 09:58 PM

That makes good sense. I figured you had a good reason for betting out rather than checking, just wondering what it was.