Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2005, 03:30 PM

Default Re: Ugly Postflop Situation w/ JJ ($109)

so a lot of people advocate folding here. that's fine. sure.

and clearly, when checked to here, betting is cool.

my question is:

1) how many handed to the flop on a flop such as this one would you check utg with JJ in this spot, because if you're beat you're probably going to hear about it anyway without having to put in more chips at all?
2) x handed in what positions y to act post flop do you check?

if any.

c
Old 11-29-2005, 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've never seen either of those players at the $109s, but my sample size is miniscule, so meh. I may have at the $55s. Not sure, as my PT database is on the home pc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope. No record of these two at all.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't fold Aces here, because I've seen QQ/KK "slowplayed" so often. I include them in the BB's range.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that's why it takes 5 more seconds. You don't have odds vs. that range with or without the relatively unlikely 2 extra hands you beat included in it.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
so a lot of people advocate folding here. that's fine. sure.

and clearly, when checked to here, betting is cool.

my question is:

1) how many handed to the flop on a flop such as this one would you check utg with JJ in this spot, because if you're beat you're probably going to hear about it anyway without having to put in more chips at all?
2) x handed in what positions y to act post flop do you check?

if any.

c

[/ QUOTE ]

Your only going to know your beat when two(or more) players show enough interest to make it clear. If one player bets, you are still going to spend some money finding out if you are beat. I don't think the "two or more big hands scenario" happens often enough with any number of players to justify the risk of getting beat by a free turn. If I check the flop here it is with the intention of check-raising(and I am damned sure someone will bet). Finding out I'm beat before I raise is a bonus.

I don't think an X and Y answer is possible here. The level of aggression of the players is more important than the number of players. If I know the last player to act will take a shot at almost any checked around flop I may check here. I think it is a play better suited to MTT.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:10 PM

I did end up folding this hand...

Turn was the Kc (completing rainbow)... Gauteng checked and quickly folded to jrg's push so I didn't get to see a showdown...

I don't see how the K could've helped jrg at all... I put him on AA-TT or a set... and who knows what Gauteng had... apparently he's just a donk.
Old 11-29-2005, 11:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Player dependent on whether c/raise or not. You are the one with betting impetus and all. As far as checking with the thought of it checking through, I would do that if 15-20 people saw the flop.