Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2005, 05:45 AM

Default Home game Bonus

Me and my friend are considering starting a raked game in town. There are currently 6-7 live games where I am from that run fairly consistently. We know all the players and owners of these games well.
We are considering offering 10 dollars an hour to anyone who will come play.
Our plan is to pay 10 dollars an hour, and pay everyone on friday before the game. We will run monday, wednesday, friday and saturday. We will have free food and drinks and beer etc.

Do you think this bonus in town will be a good drawing card.
I.E will we be able to pull enough players because of this bonus.
Do you think there is a chance we could even drive some of the smaller places that aren't very nice anyway out of business? What about the larger places.
Our rake will be standard, and the bonus will be something we offer forever, anytime anyone plays. Also if anyone bringgs a fried (or refers somebody) they get 5 dollars an hour for every hour their friend plays the first night he comes.
Old 05-01-2005, 06:49 AM

Default Re: Home game Bonus

Even if you consider that every hand is raked for $4 and you can get out 30 hands/hour, you're picking up $120 in rake and paying out $100. Since at least a few hands won't cap the rake or see a flop, you're going to be losing money if you hold this game. The refer-a-friend just adds on top of it, along with the free food and drinks. I hope you like spending $100/hour to run a poker game.
Old 05-01-2005, 07:15 AM

No, we have ran a game before, standard rake in town is 5 a hand. We will take 5 a hand and we play 9 handed. Plus 2 of the seats will be filled by house men, but that is aside the point. So 90 bucks an hour to players, we will make around 130 an hour. 100 on food. We figure we will run 6 hours a night on average. Plus anytime a player doesnt post blinds that is -15 min for them. So that makes us a little money.

So the house will make over 150-200 a night per table, if we add a table that more than doubles because food cost is already taken out. We will be able to get 2 tables fairly often. we are also consdering taking 6 bucks a hand, or change the rake scheme to 5 dollars on the button every hand, that money will play for you, ie. if there is a rise to you in a 5-10 limit game then it will be 5 for you to call.

But yes ill take my 100 dollars plus my 10 an hour, plus what I make in the game.
Old 05-01-2005, 07:19 AM

The refer a friend thing will be a bonus that is rarely taken advantage of just to get new players out. The 30 bucks to get the player there will be more than worth it. Worst case me and my buddy are playing rake free. Making a couple hundred a night is just gravy. (we both play for a living right now anyway)

My question is this, will this bonus bring the players?
Old 05-01-2005, 01:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Plus anytime a player doesnt post blinds that is -15 min for them.

[/ QUOTE ]Wait, you're saying that if somebody forgets to post, you CHARGE THEM? That sounds antagonistic as hell.

Maybe you could post a sign out front saying "Free Parking", but then boot everybody's car and change $50 to take it off. So that makes you a little money.
-Sam
Old 05-01-2005, 02:31 PM

your saying every hand your gonna take out 5$? that is crazy
Old 05-01-2005, 02:40 PM

That depends. What game, and what stakes?

-ptmusic
Old 05-01-2005, 04:30 PM

Why not just lower the rake?
Old 05-01-2005, 07:57 PM

Yeah, take $3 max, you'll crush the other games. Run two tables. Take $1 for a bad beat if your players want it. Give $10 one-time "finder's fee" to new players' friends.
Old 05-01-2005, 08:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
your saying every hand your gonna take out 5$? that is crazy

[/ QUOTE ]
that is standard in town. every game takes 5. one place takes 7 a hand and they are jammin.