Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2005, 08:19 PM

Default 2/4NL AK OOP Line check

This hand happened last week...just getting around to posting it now. No read. It's my first hand.

Standard? Or weird?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $4 BB (6 max, 5 handed) converter

UTG ($437.70)
MP ($551.10)
Button ($477.15)
SB ($530.80)
Hero ($400)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls $4, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $8</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $30</font>, UTG folds, Button calls $22.

Flop: ($66) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $40</font>, Button calls $40.

Turn: ($146) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

River: ($146) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $80</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $407.15 (All-In)</font>, Hero calls $250 (All-In).

Final Pot: $883.15
Old 10-05-2005, 08:29 PM

Default Re: 2/4NL AK OOP Line check

Seems to be meh at best.

Only hand he MIGHT do this with is AQ.

Hands that beat you are AJ,A7s,JJ,77, (very unlikely) AA.

I fold river.
Old 10-05-2005, 08:38 PM

Why not check the end and hope to induce a bluff? I dont think there are that many worse hands that are going to call here. I also fold to this raise.
Old 10-05-2005, 08:39 PM

Don't you think he'd show some aggression SOMEWHERE along the way with those hands?
Old 10-05-2005, 08:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why not check the end and hope to induce a bluff?

[/ QUOTE ]

I checked the turn and lead weak on the river to induce a bluff.
Old 10-05-2005, 10:04 PM

The ONLY hand u beat on this river IMO is a bluff... unless villain is super good at getting value out of his hands (which doesnt sound like anyone at 2/4) I think you are beat here 100% of the time that he wants a call. However i do think he is bluffing a decent amount here. Depends on villain's river tendencies, sometimes easy call, others easy fold.
Old 10-06-2005, 03:24 AM

My first hand at the table and I'm folding this. Against an unknown, I expect to see a set of aces more often than any other hand and a set of jacks next.

Your bet amount on the end is good. That leaves AQ and AT (and A2 for that matter) good enough odds to call. You'll even see QQ/KK look you up. You will be ahead way more than 50% of the time when you get called. It's also very unlikely that someone will blast you off of the best hand, so if you get raised, you can fold.

If you're going to go all the way with your hand, you are better off betting the turn and charging the draws, then check/calling the river to induce a bluff.
Old 10-06-2005, 09:58 AM

if he was hoping to raise the turn with a set and then saw you check, he probably thought you were just giving up on your continuation bet or were playing a scared KK or QQ. the river seems like a blocking bet/almost value bet with those hands. he's either trying to blow you off your hand or has a set. without a read, id think i was probably losing and fold.

never give someone too much credit. just because you would have bet in his position with a big hand early on, doesnt mean he would have. what does his river bet mean? is the most important question.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:37 AM

With no read you fold tptk everytime someone pushes, especially with two broadways on the board and you only have one of them. Plus some assholes will play J7 suited for a raise, you just never know. Conversely, you may have just walked into the tightest player at the table's trap and it's obvious to everyone else you're screwed. Next time you may want to watch the table for a few minutes before you sit down. Something as simple as that might turn this into an easy decision.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I checked the turn and lead weak on the river to induce a bluff.

[/ QUOTE ]

At 2/4 you may want to check the river to induce a bluff instead of a blocking bet.

Your block bet it indicates you like your hand, plus it further commits you. Any player trying to get value with 2 pair or better will see this as a green light to push.

At 2/4, when you get a push on the river after taking your line, it will rarely be a bluff.