Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What to do?
Fold 9 30.00%
Push 21 70.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-21-2005, 01:33 PM

Default Should I accept this prop bet?

I’m 5’7” tall, 40 years old, weigh about 235 pounds, and have struggled with weight for most of my life. My Body Mass Index is 36.6 BMI Link. I have set a goal of reaching a BMI of 29.9 by 8/1/06, which would put me below the “obese” threshold. I’m a large framed person and look good at 190.

When I set this goal, and told an MD buddy at work, he offered me the following prop bet: If I hit my goal, he covers a year’s membership at the fancy-schmancy health club he swims at a few times a week (about $1400). If I lose, I cover his.

My history with weight loss is shaky. Two serious attempts, both succeeded (for a while). The first time I kept off the weight for about 6 months. The second time for a couple of years. Both times stopped at about 195 pounds. I haven't been below 190 since Geo HW Bush was president.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:38 PM

Default Re: Should I accept this prop bet?

Are you the 1 that voted for the first answer, milo?
Old 07-21-2005, 01:39 PM

I have not voted.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:42 PM

i'm unfamiliar with BMI and how it's calculated. would this represent purely a weight loss goal?

if so, and you're serious about it, i'd take the bet and be happy to have extra motivation. gamblers often find bets to be sort of the only thing that can actually motivate them to do things, so why not add one one?

if not, or if this is medically just not very possible, i'd at least try to get odds out of your friend. hell, i might try to get odds out of him anyway.

this all assumes that $1400 isn't a make or break amount of money for you of course.

if your question is actually "is this an easy way to make $1400?" which i don't think it is, then the answer i think is no, it's not that easy. but it shouldn't be that hard if you're serious about getting the weight off.

citanul
Old 07-21-2005, 01:42 PM

whats your basic exercise/diet plan to lose the weight?
Old 07-21-2005, 01:43 PM

You've got just over a year to lose 45 pounds. Easy-peasy-japanesy. I'm guessing you can do that by just avoiding most alcohol and cutting out between-meal snacks. And no donuts for breakfast, ya fat bastard. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Seriously, this is easy money, AND you'll feel better/get healthier/all that [censored].
Old 07-21-2005, 01:46 PM

I think the bet is a great incentive to actually lose the weight. Definitely take it for that reason alone.

I say do it. Even if you don't reach the goal you should get some added motivation to get off your ass. $1400 is a cheap price to pay for a healthier lifestyle, even if you lose and keep off ten pounds that equals years and years of longer, healthier living.

Swede

[ QUOTE ]
whats your basic exercise/diet plan to lose the weight?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not saying he should go for the absolute minimum, but he needs to lose roughly a pound a week, or 500 calories a day. Hell, if he doesn't drink diet soda right now he could switch over and cut out 500 cals a day. Or two fewer beers a day. Or one less beer and one less bag o' potato chips. Cutting out 500 calories a day for someone who hasn't given a thought to dieting is a piece of cake (pun intended) -- he doesn't even need to hit the treadmill if he doesn't want to.

If you're like me, taking the bet will make you more likely to follow through. Not because of fear of losing the $1400, but because you've got somebody consistenly watching your progress and tracking your results. I'm a big competitor, and I don't like to lose.

Were I in your position, I would take the bet.