Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance

Old 12-29-2005, 11:55 PM

Default How long should I wait before playing again?[tilt, 3 successive beats]

This is the worst run I've ever had. These hands occured within 5 minutes of eachother. I stopped playing after the last hand because I knew I'd be tilting something fierce.

All at 50NL, at full buy-in or higher, 6max

I get KK, raise to $4 on the button after 3 limpers, one calls. Flop comes 2 7 9 rainbow. I've been aggressive so I figure he's going to call large bets with trash. He bets $6, I raise to $28, he pushes, I call. He shows K9 and spikes a 9 on the river.

I get 99 in the CO, there's a raise to $2 from a shortstack with $12, Player calls, I call, rest fold. Flop comes 3d Kd 9d, shortstack bets $2, player calls, I raise to put shortstack all in, he calls, player re-raises all in. Its about $40 for me to call in a $36 pot, and he would make this move with 2 pair, or perhaps even the Ad. I call, and he shows Qd 4d for the flopped flush, I don't improve.

And the final nail in the goddamned coffin.

I pick up queens. There is a raise to $3 in the CO, I'm on the button. I re-raise to $12. Rest folds, he calls. Flop comes A Q 7, perfect flop. He checks, I bet $20, he pushes, I call. He shows AK

Turn J

River T

I was 98.6% to win that hand.
Old 12-30-2005, 12:04 AM

Default Re: How long should I wait before playing again?[tilt, 3 successive be

Wait until you can be happy that you got your money in as a 98.6% favorite and got a caller. Seriously, these kinds of beats are hard to take but they never bother me unless I am playing way outside my bankroll.
Old 12-30-2005, 02:38 AM

Default Re: How long should I wait before playing again?[tilt, 3 successive beats]

[ QUOTE ]

How long should I wait before playing again?

[/ QUOTE ]

Take a few days off to recuperate, maybe a week. Go ahead and engage in normal daily activities, but don't push yourself. You have experienced emotional trauma, and sometimes the effects can be subtle and longlasting. If you find yourself experiencing dizziness or disorientation, elevate your feet and put on a cold compress.

As far as Poker is concerned, only you can make the important decision about when it's right to "jump back in the pool". If you have a family priest or rabbi you should think about talking it over with him. If you're not a religious man, you might want to consider taking up religion, or at least getting a pet.

Whatever you decide, I'm rooting for you.

Be strong.

/mc
Old 12-30-2005, 02:41 AM

Default Re: How long should I wait before playing again?[tilt, 3 successive be

I only read your title and saw something about getting money in ahead and losing. The same happened to me today to the tune of 2k.

I'm taking tomorrow off.

GL to us.

-Craig