Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2005, 01:39 AM

Default Best book (if any) for advanced Ring/Short Handed NL Hold\'Em?

I know the Sklansky/Miller book is due to comeout "within a reasonable amount of time", and I heard Ciaffone is writing an NL Hold'Em book, but what books are best suited towards advanced NL Hold'Em cash game play (both ring and short handed)? I have studied HoH, HoH2, plenty of theory, and read the forums religiously (MTT, NL small stakes and Mid-High)... is there anything that compares to the forums on here as far as content level such as advanced lines/play in middle/high stakes cash games (perhaps discussing different lines that become available and profitable against certain types of players and recognizing those players)?

Obviously I will continue reading the forums, as I don't think anything CAN compare to them, and I think if that type of book was out I would likely already have it by now.. but I figured I'd shoot the question while waiting for those two I mentioned. Also, I heard Negreanu is coming out with a book as well, that could be interesting.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:23 PM

Default Re: Best book (if any) for advanced Ring/Short Handed NL Hold\'Em?

Nada? [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 11-09-2005, 12:08 AM

There are already posts about NL books. I think the answer is no.
Old 11-09-2005, 06:07 AM

Use the search function my friend, and you shall find the answers you seek.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:40 PM

There's not much out there for ya. Check out Phil Gordan's Little Green Book. I thought it was a very good book.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Use the search function my friend, and you shall find the answers you seek.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I won't , as such a book apparently doesn't exist yet. Thank you for your blank insight. I also looked through every post in this forum, as there aren't very many, and thats were I got some of my information on the upcoming books. Was hoping maybe there was one left unmentioned. More of a vague hope than an expectation.

I'd look into Gordon's book, but have heard it was mostly beginner/intermediate material, not really offering anything that HoH hadn't already covered.
Old 11-09-2005, 07:55 PM

HoH is mainly a tournament strategy book. Despite that, the NL principles are similar. But you must know that pressure and image are two elements that make quit a difference.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:01 PM

A lot of what is covered in Phil Gordan's Little Green Book is covered in HOH. However, although a lot of the strategies in HOH apply to ring games, many hands should simply be played differently in ring games than in tournaments. In ring games people can reload at any time, therefore, worry about stack sizes and such is not as useful. Gordan also plays in a more aggressive style than Harrington. He will often bet full houses on the flop. This may seem silly but his arguments for betting are very good. He also has a strategy for getting away from KK preflop. This also may seem silly, but his arguments again are very good. Gordan touches on some different situations for each hand that HOH does not. I would definitely recommend Little Green Book to anyone.