Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker

Old 04-26-2005, 04:25 AM

Default Negreanu now vs. 8 months ago... sad times.

I enjoy both the game of poker, as well as the personalities behind a lot of the poker faces we get to peek in on. One of the more entertaining people to watch and hear feedback from used to be Daniel Negreanu.

I was kinda out of the loop for 8 months or so, and reading his "Poker Journal" now compared to things he wrote before, its as if he is a compeltely different person. While not as over the top and self indulged as Hellmuth when it comes to plugging himself, the plugs are getting pretty overboard. Another thing I used to really enjoy about negreanu is how he rarely ever gave even a hint of disrespect towards people he played with after he busted out of a tournament. He always acknowledged their good moves, and was silent ont he bad, and simply took his medicine like you'd expect any great athlete or competitor. Now when I read his articles, its all about bad beats, how lucky his opponents are, what projects he has brewing, how much he tipped his shoe shiner, who's rent he paid this month, etc. There's no more humility, its a bummer.

I also realize there is nothing forcing him to act any particular way, and that he cans ay whatever he wants about his peers, etc., but I think a large reason behind why people enjoyed him so much was that he really pushed for poker to be accepted, and did it with ACTIONS, rather than selling off a peice of himself to the highest bidder(figuratively).

It is indeed a choice whether or not to read his contributions, but not reading them anymore isn't something I expected to have to do, as he legitimately seemed like a really down to earth guy with a lot of great input on the game and the scene.

Anyone else noticed this change in Negreanu that has kept up witht hings throughout the last 8 months? Because I hadn't kept up, it was like night and day to me.
Old 04-26-2005, 08:12 AM

Default Re: Negreanu now vs. 8 months ago... sad times.

If I recall he and his 'fiance' broke up still within recent memory, perhaps he's got some pent up anger and now it's rearing it's ugly head.

He obviously has it good, too good one might say.... the problem is HE doesn't know it.
[maybe]

A friend asked me if he was gay a couple days ago, I laughed, no need to go there.

>TW<
Old 04-26-2005, 08:23 AM

People who are not intimately familiar with EV, who play well but also have been running lucky, tend to get frustrated when they are beaten by plays that are clearly wrong but not very wrong. That's why my friend always made the two point with 6-4.
Old 04-26-2005, 09:08 AM

Keep in mind that Negreanu has had astonishing success in the last year. When I started reading his posts on RGP he was playing 300/600 with a bankroll of maybe $250,000. Now he is playing 4000/8000 with a bankroll of $4 million plus. This may explain the differences you noticed.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If I recall he and his 'fiance' broke up still within recent memory, perhaps he's got some pent up anger and now it's rearing it's ugly head.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man what is it with you! Are you the resident psychologist on this forum. First Yuan Le and now Negreanu. You realy are a jealous sort now aren't you?

vince
Old 04-26-2005, 10:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Negreanu has had astonishing success in the last year

[/ QUOTE ]

Bares Repeating. I've known Daniel for a few years. Let me clarify that. I've know Daniel but he hasn't known me. Well, he doesn't know my name. We played in a few games at Bellagio when he was blowing off chips at the lower limits. Daniel in my opinion was/is a "cocky" young fellow. I do not meen that in a bad way. He seemed to me to be very confident in his abilities and that confidence showed through as being cocky. What I remember most from my encounters with Daniel is that he was always polite. Even after all of his recent success he still makes an effort to acknowledge me whenever he sees me. Years ago I thought that Daniel would be a great spokesman for poker. Obviously, Steve Wynn agrees. I think the kid desreves the benefit of the doubt and maybe a little more time to mature and come down from an incredible year. I believe that he is "good guy" and will do positive things that eventually silence his critics.

Like the fellow said:

[ QUOTE ]
Negreanu has had astonishing success in the last year

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's give him a break and wish him well. Tournament Pro's should loud this kid. His success in nationally Televised Poker Events will help to ensure big overlays in tournaments for a long, long time.

Vince
Old 04-26-2005, 10:27 AM

Please share some examples of his promotion of the game, above and beyond anything said in a Cardplayer article.

I haven't noticed huge changes in his personality. He has just decided to share more of his material side with the public. It doesn't mean he doesn't still care about non-material things.

I don't blame him for cashing in on the boom. If it dries up somewhat, he will be leaps and bounds ahead of most other pro's. Residual income is endorsed by the poker authors on this site.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That's why my friend always made the two point with 6-4.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm having trouble understanding what this sentence means/is referring to.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You know, like when they tried to kick a field goal but it was blocked and they picked it up and tried to drop kick it but had to pass for the 2 pointer instead because they were behind 6-4 and they at least wanted a tie...before half time.

Of course it could also be a backgammon thing. I have no idea. I'll let the "Great Elaborator" elaborate....I hope.

Vince
Old 04-26-2005, 11:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm having trouble understanding what this sentence means/is referring to.

[/ QUOTE ]

Backgammon.