Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High

Old 12-31-2005, 12:46 AM

Default AAxx situation I find difficult.

PL $50c/$1 full ring game.
I have $200 and Villain has ~$300 so slightly deep stacks.

I'm in the SB with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

4 limpers and Villain raises to $7, and it's folded to me.

Villain is good and would know that a reraise by me is 90% to be a well coordinated AAxx or similar hand. He would easily be able to take the pot away from me if I don't hit my A or a flush draw or the board is very scary. He also know that I won't lay down those pretty Aces on a raggy rainbow board.

I seem to be getting plenty of premium hands lately but always in the blinds and I think its one big weakness in my game of not playing well out of the blinds.
If I raise preflop from the SB or BB and catch a little bit of the flop I never know whether to bet, c/r or what. The type and number of opponents usually decides for me.

Back to the hand. I flat call from the SB, one other limper calls. 3 to the flop with a pot of $24

Flop is J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I bet pot $24 with $169 behind, limper folds. Villain (who covers) flat calls. If Villain had JJxx or 88xx I think he would raise here 75% of the time, he nearly never slowplays.

Turn ($72) 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] , Hero...?

Thoughts on each street appreciated.
Old 12-31-2005, 01:18 AM

Default Re: AAxx situation I find difficult.

I think a check raise is better. If he is at all perceptive, he's going to tend to think you have more of a drawing hand than a made hand and will be able to blow you off with a big bet on the turn or the river. If you check raise you may get him to overcommit with a hand you have a fair amount of equity against like Q9Tx or QQxx / KKxx with spades. Hey may also fold a very strong hand if you've been playing fairly tight and giving him respect.

As played, I think betting the pot on the turn would be a mistake. If you're ahead you want a caller here, he's likely drawing fairly thin. If he flopped TTP and has decided to look for a safe turn card, you have approximately 15 outs so it's not the end of the world if you get raised. I'd probably bet about $45 or $50 here, wanting him to call with a bad draw but not terribly disappointed if he folds either.

Assuming he calls the turn, I would check raise a spade OTR if I knew he was likely to draw to weak flushes here and / or bluff in big pots. If a non spade Q or 7 comes off, I'd probably check-fold to a reasonable bet. I'm not overly fond of check-calling with one pair, even HU, so I'd be more likely to make a small blocking bet on the river and fold to a large raise. This is all highly player dependant and would rely on the range of hands he is likely to call the flop and turn with.
Old 12-31-2005, 12:19 PM

Default Re: AAxx situation I find difficult.

Check/raise all-in is good here. You dont really mind a free card because you have the nut flush draw, and since villain likely doesnt have JJxx or 88xx then he might well bet the turn (but no big loss if he doesnt, as you are drawing to the nuts).

If he bets, you can get all-in and he can't outplay you on the river with his draw if a non-spade card from 7-K hits.

You probably have the best hand, but you are very live against two pair or trips, and a fave against most draws.