Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-26-2005, 11:33 PM

Default (5$) Nightmare river card, was villian getting correct drawing odds?

The outcome of this hand was disturbing. Not so much because of the card that came on the river, but the fact that I played it incorrectly. Was the villain getting proper drawing odds?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (8 handed) converter

Button (t1280)
SB (t1410)
BB (t2030)
UTG (t2660)
UTG+1 (t1885)
MP1 (t1335)
MP2 (t1135)
Hero (t1765)

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls t50, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t225</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls t175, UTG calls t175.

Flop: (t700) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t125</font>, BB calls t125, UTG folds.

Turn: (t950) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t350</font>, BB calls t350.

River: (t1650) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets t250</font>, Hero calls t250.

Final Pot: t2150
Old 12-26-2005, 11:34 PM

Default Re: (5$) Nightmare river card, was villian getting correct drawing odd

bet more, like, everywhere
Old 12-26-2005, 11:36 PM

Default Re: (5$) Nightmare river card, was villian getting correct drawing odds?

You butchered this hand.

Bet 2/3 to the pot on flop/turn.
Old 12-26-2005, 11:37 PM

Default Re: (5$) Nightmare river card, was villian getting correct drawing odds?

With straight &amp; flush draws on the flop, you need to bet it much stronger - I'd go with 500 - 700. Same with turn, bet much more.

I don't know if villain was getting proper odds - depends on their holding. They most likely had Jx where x was A, K or Q. Your betting allowed them to stay in the hand.
Old 12-26-2005, 11:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You butchered this hand.

Bet 2/3 to the pot on flop/turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought so, thanks for your input.
Old 12-26-2005, 11:47 PM

If either opponent holds a King, he'll call a 2/3 to pot sized bet. At the same time, you'll give flush/straight draws incorrect odds to call, so it's a win-win if you put a decent sized bet in there. With a board like this, most everyone else is going away to just about any bet so don't worry about chasing off weaker hands.

I usually play my sets pretty fast in late position w/paint on the board. You'd be surprised how many times you get checkraised by top pair on this flop, which, of course, is exactly what you want.
Old 12-27-2005, 12:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If either opponent holds a King, he'll call a 2/3 to pot sized bet. At the same time, you'll give flush/straight draws incorrect odds to call, so it's a win-win if you put a decent sized bet in there. With a board like this, most everyone else is going away to just about any bet so don't worry about chasing off weaker hands.

I usually play my sets pretty fast in late position w/paint on the board. You'd be surprised how many times you get checkraised by top pair on this flop, which, of course, is exactly what you want.

[/ QUOTE ]

ty
Hobbes you are a good pal to have [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-27-2005, 12:18 AM

You're welcome.

I want to clarify a little: The real advantage of playing this hand fast, other than discouraging draws, is that there is an overcard to your set of queens. If the flop came Q-9-4 rainbow, it would be a different situation.

By the way, you shouldn't mind at all if you bet and take down this particular hand on the flop. You've already stuck in a healthy PF raise and gotten two callers. That's a nice pot at this stage.

You need to keep a balance between getting maximum value and protecting your chip stack. Not all big hands should be slow played.