Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High

Old 12-15-2005, 09:05 AM

Default Handling reraises preflop (noob question)

Stars 200 PLO. Everyone have about a full buy. I raise pot UTG to 7 with 8TJQds (bad?) about 6 callers, villain (dr cobben btw) makes it 65. Easy call? I have the equity for sure, I just feel like I don't get to see all the cards pretty often.

Push better?
Old 12-15-2005, 10:44 AM

Default Re: Handling reraises preflop (noob question)

If you never, ever raised a hand UTG it would be only a small mistake. This is not a terrible hand to raise UTG at a loose table, but its still just a drawing hand which won't play well out of position. Just limp and call the raise, you'll be in much better shape.

Now that you have been reraised, I don't see calling 1/3 of your stack off here. More often than not you'll end up all in on the flop if you do drawing thinly, possibly with your draws dominated. If you think there will be a few more callers you could call, but I think heads up its better to fold to the reraise.

Pushing is not terrible, it might be the best solution as I think about it. You probably have 45% equity and the extra money in the pot already probably makes it an EV coinflip. You might push out the higher flush draws in doing so. So I say push and embrace variance here.

Looking forward to hearing what others think on this one.
Old 12-15-2005, 07:16 PM

Based on the fairly small sample of hands I've played with Dr Cobben, I think the reraise is a fairly likely AAxx. He will pot the flop no matter what. If you think his raise will get it HU or three handed as is, I would call. If there are likely to be two or more callers behind I would strongly consider reraising as you are not likely to be in a -EV situation with the dead money in the middle and there are metagame benefits.
Old 12-15-2005, 07:26 PM

I'm not one to put it allin with by far the worst hand at these limits because I've seen bizarre hands overcall with all sorts of crazy junk that your hand might not like at all. I don't like calling cause you have to hit the flop pretty well (for this amount) and you still might be in trouble. I'm probably folding in this situation. But if he'll go nutso with any AA type hand I'm usually hanging around with anything decent against that trying to bust it.

I don't raise preflop with this hand because almost nobody's folding and you still have to hit majorly well unless the players are that weak tight post flop.

Oh and if two people call behind the first raiser there is no dead money in the middle because they aren't going to fold. Your flush draws should be dead so you have to hit a straight or a full house to win if you reraise.
Old 12-15-2005, 07:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Stars 200 PLO. Everyone have about a full buy. I raise pot UTG to 7 with 8TJQds (bad?) about 6 callers, villain (dr cobben btw) makes it 65. Easy call? I have the equity for sure, I just feel like I don't get to see all the cards pretty often.

Push better?

[/ QUOTE ]

Congratulations, you have reached the best situation you can in PLO. You are putting in 30% of your stack preflop as a tiny dog against an opponent who is playing with his hand faceup. Now you get to make the decision whether to commit the remainder of your chips in as a favorite, or fold when not.

Busting aces is absolutely the most profitable situation in this game.
Old 12-16-2005, 04:24 AM

fold or reraise. getting 30-35% of stack against probably aces is not what I'm looking for. heads up all in is fine with all the dead money, and if the others choose to call all in it's fine as well cause your hand shows a long run profit multiway.
Old 12-16-2005, 04:26 AM

just adding: calling preflop is better I think. PLO is a game of position, either you wanna be all-in or play a small pot from UTG.
Old 12-16-2005, 04:45 AM

I would call and my only concern would be if he got my flushes coverd with his AAxx or not.

The hand plays itself on the flop(check fold/call).

5 min later:
Hmmmm no ive been thinking some more, since i really dont want multiple callers with my bad position maybe pushing is better.

Tilt: why do we wanna play this hand multiway if calling would get more people in? What am i missing?
Old 12-16-2005, 07:12 AM

Yeah I like busting aces as much as the next guy, it's just that 30% seems like a big amount to put in, I am not really sure how often I will hit a flop to continue with. If I hit a pair on the flop it's a fairly tough decision. I will likely have people behind me. With one opponent I go in with a pair on most flops but with like two people behind me that migh have hit sets and whatnot it's not that obvious, since my equity against the aces aren't great to begin with with only one pair.
I am not an odds expert yet but I would expect something like 46%-54% QJT8ds vs AAxx on a Tyz flop with no flush draw. I don't know if I should call all in there when there are two people behind me that could have me in very bad shape. So I lose some of my profitable spots (or at least make them less profitable) when there are people behind me.

I guess I never fold here, but I am thinking pushing might be better than calling?

EDIT: My equity is probably lower than those % now that I think about it. 40-60 might be more accurate.
Old 12-16-2005, 08:06 AM

the big mistake is raising that hand (or pretty much anything else) utg. i dont like the spot after the raise but anything you do from here on out is prob resonable. i prob call but could easily see a fold, and am open to a push being ok too. i like calling better than pushing because the advantage i see is knowing half your opponents hand. if you push you are giving up that advantage. if you had deeper stacks i would def say call for this reason. with deeper stacks you would be in a much better situation to potentially bluff "knowing" he cant call or try to play a big pot when you hit poss as little as two pair.
the more i think about it the more i like calling better than raising with folding being slightly better than raising.
matty