Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 08-04-2005, 07:26 PM

Default 22s...99 as overpair early

NL Texas Hold'em $20 Buy-in + $2 Entry Fee Level:1 Blinds(10/15) - Thursday, August 04, 19:12:21 EDT 2005

Seat 4 is the button
Total number of players : 9
Seat 1: LIKEBLUEFISH ( $975 )
Seat 2: samlinco ( $845 )
Seat 3: seanmcneish ( $755 )
Seat 4: AWorldOfPain ( $760 )
Seat 5: Claude_Bawls ( $1680 )
Seat 6: Akrynite ( $825 )
Seat 7: tradisrad ( $770 )
Seat 9: Smaug559 ( $620 )
Seat 10: WVUJRS ( $770 )

Blinds(10/15)

Dealt to AWorldOfPain [ 9h 9s ]
tradisrad folds.
Smaug559 folds.
WVUJRS folds.
LIKEBLUEFISH calls [15].
samlinco folds.
seanmcneish calls [15].
AWorldOfPain calls [15].
Claude_Bawls calls [5].
Akrynite checks.

** Dealing Flop ** [ 6s, 4h, 7h ] (t75)

Claude_Bawls checks.
Akrynite bets [75].
LIKEBLUEFISH calls [75].
seanmcneish folds.
AWorldOfPain will be using his time bank for this hand.
AWorldOfPain folds.

Good fold or more weak tight than bill fillmaff?

AcidReign
Old 08-04-2005, 07:28 PM

Default Re: 22s...99 as overpair early

I think this is a great spot to push and get your money in with the best of it.
Old 08-04-2005, 08:55 PM

Too weak tight. At the 22s, there are just too many hands you are ahead of here. I'd push here and expect to get called by a flush draw.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:24 PM

Agreed...but the problems begin with a bad play preflop. You're on the button, and there are limpers...you MUST raise to thin the field, and get a feel for where you are.

Second, what kind of flop are you looking for with 99? Besides the set, of course, this is an ideal flop, though not as ideal as if you'd pushed the blinds out (since a low straight or two pair are possible). How you don't re-raise here, possibly all-in, is beyond me. You're gonna take the pot down almost every time there, and even if you do get a call, you're still probably ahead, since you might well be getting called by TP or the flush/straight draw or something like that. And if you get called by two pair or the straight, it's your own damn fault for not raising preflop.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Agreed...but the problems begin with a bad play preflop. You're on the button, and there are limpers...you MUST raise to thin the field, and get a feel for where you are.

Second, what kind of flop are you looking for with 99? Besides the set, of course, this is an ideal flop, though not as ideal as if you'd pushed the blinds out (since a low straight or two pair are possible). How you don't re-raise here, possibly all-in, is beyond me. You're gonna take the pot down almost every time there, and even if you do get a call, you're still probably ahead, since you might well be getting called by TP or the flush/straight draw or something like that. And if you get called by two pair or the straight, it's your own damn fault for not raising preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

My question was not about my preflop play but thanks for the lecture. I (and many others in this forum) disagree that raising pf is mandatory here. In lev 1 I am not trying to clear the field and win a small pot. I am hoping to flop a set and double through some donkey. A case can be made for raising here but it is by no means is it a MUST.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:59 PM

I limp all pocket pairs from JJ down and hope to flop set or overpairs. However, I think folding to that flop is terrible.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:09 PM

I'll agree with previous poster... RAISE PREFLOP! And raise again to like 300 on the flop... if they push call. 99 is a great hand to raise with on the button and a great overpair to have especially with a flush draw/strait draw out there, no way you let them see it cheap.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:48 PM

The limp preflop is fine. You have to commit too large a portion of your stack to 'thin the field' for a hand as vulnerable as 99. The stacks just aren't deep enough to play middle pairs this way most of the time. If you raise and get called by one or more of the limpers, you will have no idea where you stand when an overcard or two flops. By limping, you invest the minimum and can safely throw the hand away without a set/overpair.
Old 08-06-2005, 05:39 PM

Pre-flop limp is fine, but I raise this flop approximately 100% of the time. (And I'm not talking no mini-raise).
Old 08-06-2005, 05:43 PM

Folding the flop my be incorrect but I don't think its as bad as the previous responders. I am huge champion of folding small overpairs on coordinated flops.