Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2004, 02:39 PM

Default I\'ve had enough of us killing women and children

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor.../iraq_attack_4

[ QUOTE ]
Lt. Col Ziyad al-Jbouri, deputy police chief of the city of Ramadi, said between 42 and 45 people died in the attack, which took place about 2:45 a.m. in a remote desert area near the border with Syria and Jordan. He said those killed included 15 children and 10 women.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is embarrassing and shameful.
Old 05-19-2004, 03:36 PM

Default Re: I\'ve had enough of us killing women and children

"Al-Ani said people at the wedding fired weapons in the air, and that American troops came to investigate and left. However, al-Ani said, helicopters attacked the area at about 3 a.m. Two houses were destroyed, he said."

W.T.F.?
Old 05-19-2004, 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
An investigative report released by the U.S. Central Command said the airstrike was justified because American planes had come under fire.

[/ QUOTE ]

Boy, that's pretty convincing huh? Sometimes I wonder what I would think of the US if I lived in Iraq. Bombing weddings is pretty low on my list of how to win "hearts and minds".
Old 05-19-2004, 04:09 PM

If I were in Iraq, and didn't want to get fired upon, I would not be shooting any guns.
Old 05-19-2004, 04:11 PM

Default Little early to be passing judgement, isn\'t it Clarky?

let's see how the story plays out first before we assume that it's true.

One thing I will say- does anyone NOT have the expectation that, if this story is true and the attack was unprovoked, someone will be punished for it? (Maybe not as completely as they should, but that's another story)

If, like I, you assume that punishment would result from wrongdoing, is that an indicator of the "quality" of our country and system?
Old 05-19-2004, 04:24 PM

What in the hell makes a woman's life any more valuable than a mans? What makes a childs life any more valuable than an adults? What makes a civilians life any more valuable than a soldiers?

Also, you really have to be a dumbass to be shooting off weapons in celebration in a war zone.
Old 05-19-2004, 04:25 PM

Agreed (assuming this report is accurate).

It is embarrassing and shameful. But do you really think we did this on purpose? This has got to be some kind of terrible mistake. Even after the prisoner-abuse scandal, it is still hard for me to believe anyone in a position of authority in our military is stupid/evil enough to order an attack on a wedding.
Old 05-19-2004, 04:27 PM

Default Re: Little early to be passing judgement, isn\'t it Clarky?

Of course we'll find a scapegoat if news of this becomes wide-spread and enough people freak out about it. Who did you want to blame, however? (Assuming facts as described above.)
(1) The soldiers who investigated and likely reported that it was just a wedding with a few people firing pistols into the air? Or...
(2) Totally unrelated, the helo pilot who saw muzzle flashes in the middle of the night when he was flying his patrol out over the desert - and then proceeded to neutralize what appeared to be small arms fire directed at his patrol?

I can tell you right now that the helo patrol doesn't need authorization to return fire. Those boys have been getting holes poked in their birds for a year now, with several downed by small arms fire.

The story leaves open the possibility that the soldiers investigated and then called in an air strike, but I find that highly unlikely. If that's the case, however, then I have no problem dropping the hammer on someone for a gross error in judgment.

Like many others things which have transpired (and will continue to transpire) over there, it's a tragedy - but that's war. As the article notes, it wasn't the first wedding we obliterated, nor will it be the last.
Old 05-19-2004, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What in the hell makes a woman's life any more valuable than a mans? What makes a childs life any more valuable than an adults? What makes a civilians life any more valuable than a soldiers?

[/ QUOTE ]
History, religion, morality, convention - feel free to choose one or more, they all fit.
Old 05-19-2004, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What makes an American's life any more valuable than an Iraqi's?