Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2005, 07:09 AM

Default LaDainian

This guy is unbelievable. I think he's better than Emmitt, and Terrell Davis in his prime. He might be better than Barry, and Barry's the best back I've ever seen. With Barry, though, you got a bunch of "no gain" runs along with the occasional 30-yarder. I can see how a coach would prefer LaDainian's running style. He always seems to get extra yards after contact, something smaller backs like Marshall Faulk and Robert Smith couldn't do. And he's so much faster than the big guys like Jamal Lewis and Bettis.

The thread about Federer made me think. Sometimes you don't fully appreciate a player until it's too late. I'm not old enough to have seen Jim Brown or O.J. or Walter Payton or Eric Dickerson play, but it's possible history will place LaDainian above them all. He has 68 touchdowns in 68 games, a pace matched only by Brown.

Let's hope he stays healthy.
Old 10-03-2005, 07:27 AM

Default Re: LaDainian

I agree LT is hands down best RB in the NFL. It isn't even close. This guy is just a horse.
Old 10-03-2005, 07:40 AM

You know, I agree too. I think it'd be more "cool" and "knowledgeable" of me to say something like, "this guy can't touch Jim Brown or Barry." But I don't think that's true. I think he's got such a great combination of power, speed, moves, reliability, field vision...he finds holes very well and moves through them quickly, gets extra yardage after contact...he's one of the very best great runners that's also a huge threat catching the ball...he has a nose for the end zone, he can handle lots of carries, he's a nice guy (I do know him a little bit from TCU days), he's always stayed out of trouble, he's been RELATIVELY injury-free (crossing my fingers and knocking on wood that that continues). He's just THE total package...and if he keeps this up, it is POSSIBLE that he could go down as the greatest RB in the history of football.

Cool.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:45 AM

People have such short memories. LT2 is phenomenal, but let him do it for a while longer still. And for one year of dominance, let him put up a year like Priest did just two years ago before we start giving him Gayle Sayers type status. In other words, it's too early to do anything but sit back and watch and enjoy.
Old 10-03-2005, 12:28 PM

He's indeed phenomenal, and clearly the best RB in the game, but saying he might be better than Barry Sanders is just ridiculous.
Old 10-03-2005, 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He's indeed phenomenal, and clearly the best RB in the game, but saying he might be better than Barry Sanders is just ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hasty, yes, ridiculous, no. Barry was a much a drive killer as a touchdown maker. He was brilliant, but he wasn't a perfect back. Ladanian is coming close.
Old 10-03-2005, 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
LT2 is phenomenal, but let him do it for a while longer still. And for one year of dominance let him put up a year like Priest did just two years ago before we start giving him Gayle Sayers type status

[/ QUOTE ]

This is Tomlinson's 5th year. He rushed for 5900 in his 1st 4. Two years ago he had a bigger year than Priest, rushing for 1600+ and catching 100 passes for over 2300 total yards. What exactly are you looking for?
Old 10-03-2005, 02:00 PM

hey clark

i have to disagree. tomlinson has been awesome since his rookie year. if you compare his development to above average rookie running backs, tomlinson just destroys them all. he can run, he can catch, he can block, and he can pass. he is also humble, something very rare in a player with his skillset. a true teamplayer. im so happy that the chargers are winning games seeing how the chargers were terrible before and during the first few seasons LT was with the team.
Old 10-03-2005, 04:05 PM

Tomlinson is amazing, but even saying that he MIGHT be better then Barry is ludicrous.
Old 10-03-2005, 04:27 PM

I feel confident in saying that LT's never been the most valuable back in any one season. 2003 was he best season, and Priest was better that year.