Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2005, 11:11 PM

Default Re: I don\'t like it.

[ QUOTE ]
Being a very strong 100-200 and higher player I would still feel very guilty about charging some 22 year old kid 5k for my time, even though I have no doubt that my fixed limit advice would me much better than Tommy's.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your advice may be better, but your ability to explain it probably wouldn't. I've never met Tommy either, but I think he'd make a great teacher. He has flair and stlye, and so when he writes something it sticks. Your advice may be better, but for most people it would probably wash over them. The 'best' in any profession often make for lousy teachers.
Old 09-23-2005, 12:01 AM

Default Re: my shortest session ever

I assume his post was misplaced. I'm not one to toot my own horn, but my response to Tommy's post is the best one in the thread. I'll let others elaborate.
Old 09-23-2005, 12:12 AM

This thread reminds me of the saying bad publicity is better than none at all.

Lil feller posts what I think are some good hands and you can count his replies one one hand.

Tommy makes a passerby post about buying in, sitting down and then getting up before even playing a hand. 80 replies later it's complete with insults, ridicule and some loyal backing.

I've made my share of truly assinine posts when having been over served or over angry. Some of the assumptions and conclusions here, based on nothing but pure opinion and speculation, makes you wonder how objective they really are.

FWIW - not knowing him and based on his writing, my opinion/speculation is that the main thing Tommy has learned in the last 13 yrs paying his bills from poker is that there's much more to being a long term winner than knowing what hands to raise from the BB. Is that really that far fetched?

To a man, the posters here who play well, know him the best and have played with him the most all say he plays really well. Anyone who knows anything about life knows there's nothing written here that beats that.
Old 09-23-2005, 12:31 AM

Default Re: I am seriously and sincerely impressed (no joke).

[ QUOTE ]
The point of poker as a profession is to make as much $$ as possible...

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure this always is true. For many it is, sure. For others it's the freedom to be able to choose your own hours and still make a decent living.

To quote Ray Zee, "But get to live a life of your own decisions and never having to kiss anyones butt. The only way to live."
Old 09-23-2005, 01:11 AM

ive thought about it, and to be fair i think this is tommy's most brilliant post in the last year.
Old 09-23-2005, 01:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The answer to 99 out of 100 questions is Jesus . Pure and Simple. It's easy to talk about Jesus not being a MAJOR DEAL or the MOST IMPORTANT thing in deciding anything , but it is. Anybody who has ever been seriously lacking Jesus knows it sucks. Most of you on here are talking about freedom.... well the only real way to be free is to have a personal relationship with Jesus where you focus on what He wants you to do, instead of your own selfish personal whims.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP...Now can you see where you were pushing your religion of The Dollar on us?
Old 09-23-2005, 02:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The answer to 99 out of 100 questions is Jesus . Pure and Simple. It's easy to talk about Jesus not being a MAJOR DEAL or the MOST IMPORTANT thing in deciding anything , but it is. Anybody who has ever been seriously lacking Jesus knows it sucks. Most of you on here are talking about freedom.... well the only real way to be free is to have a personal relationship with Jesus where you focus on what He wants you to do, instead of your own selfish personal whims.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP...Now can you see where you were pushing your religion of The Dollar on us?

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW emp, I saw that and thought your comment very apt. Though it is nice that you spelled it out for others.
Old 09-23-2005, 02:28 AM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

[ QUOTE ]
assinine

[/ QUOTE ]

i love that misspelling
Old 09-23-2005, 04:02 AM

Eugene,

If Barry G, Chau G. and Chip R. all told you that taking lessons from Tommy was a good investment, would you consider taking those lessons or would you ignore them because your normal limits are higher than Tommy's normal limits? The best coaches in most professional sports are not the best players in those sports. The best acting coaches are not the best actors. Why do you think poker should be any different?

BTW, having said all that, Tommy could school many players who successfully play at limits far higher than what Tommy normally plays. You can choose to believe that or not, but I have played many, many sessions with Tommy and know that for a fact. There's a lot more to poker than limits and $$$.
Old 09-23-2005, 05:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Eugene,

If Barry G, Chau G. and Chip R. all told you that taking lessons from Tommy was a good investment, would you consider taking those lessons or would you ignore them because your normal limits are higher than Tommy's normal limits? The best coaches in most professional sports are not the best players in those sports. The best acting coaches are not the best actors. Why do you think poker should be any different?

BTW, having said all that, Tommy could school many players who successfully play at limits far higher than what Tommy normally plays. You can choose to believe that or not, but I have played many, many sessions with Tommy and know that for a fact. There's a lot more to poker than limits and $$$.

[/ QUOTE ]

amen!